Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run multiple commands in $() without opening a new shell Post 302348149 by akar_naveen on Thursday 27th of August 2009 12:08:00 PM
Old 08-27-2009
Data Run multiple commands in $() without opening a new shell

The code below works, but takes too many lines and looks awkward:

Code:
        db2 "export to $filename of del select * from $table with ur"|tee -a $LOGFILE|awk '/Number of rows exported:/ {print $5}' > numrows.tmp
        numrows=$(cat numrows.tmp)
        rm numrows.tmp

When I try the statement below instead, I get a message saying there's no connection to the database. That's because it opened a new shell. It's opening a new shell when I give more than just the db2 command. How can I get the code below work:

Code:
numrows=$(db2 "export to $filename of del select * from $table with ur"|tee -a $LOGFILE|awk '/Number of rows exported:/ {print $5}' )

Thanks in advance
Naveen

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-27-2009 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to run a few commands help!

Hi friends this is first post i am very new to shell scripting so i require your expertise to do the following thank u I need to write a shell script which will run the following commands pg_dump bank > backup(Enter) Wait for bash prompt to appear coz it indicates that the command is... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: perk_bud
23 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to run multiple commands from a file.

I need a command, which could run mutliple commands from a file. Let's say, I have mv fileA1 fileB1 mv fileA2 fileB2 ..... mv fileA20 fileB20 I put these commands in a file, then I need a command to run the file as a whole so that I don't need to type 20 times... Anyone tell me how to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple piped commands in a find -exec statement?

I can't get this to work. Running a single command works fine: find . -name "*.dat" -exec wc -l '{}' \; gives me the file name and number of lines in each .dat file in the directory. But what if I want to pipe commands, e.g. to grep something and get the number of lines with that pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
3 Replies

6. SuSE

Allow multiple users to run several root commands

I am using SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (i586) and I had earlier ammended my sudoers file to allow users to become root user with "sudo su - " command Now I am trying to add multiple users to the sudoers file to run several commands such as restarting the server, restarting the nagios... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run multiple commands

Hi All, Is it possible to run second/multiple commands at a time in script before the completion/return of first command? Pls reply. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cns1710
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commands to run from shell script

Hi script> isumid 98765432 if i give above command in cmd prompt it is running the same thing if i give inside the shell script it is not working below is the code #!/bin/bash isumid 98765432 please give me a solution (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramrangasamy
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Run multiple commands in invoked program

Hi, I have coded a program in Haskell using the compiler Hugs and the program requires multiple commands (with parameters) to be entered into it, it then outputs the result of its execution. I need to test a lot of different options (i.e. the parameters) so it would be obvious to automate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tz742
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run multiple commands in ssh

Hi All, I have the below requirement. I want to copy the local file to remote after that i need to run the local script on a remote machine.When i use two ssh commnds i can achieve this. But i want to achieve this using one ssh command. Below command to copy the local file to remote ssh -q... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
2 Replies
OCI_FETCH_ARRAY(3)														OCI_FETCH_ARRAY(3)

oci_fetch_array - Returns the next row from a query as an associative or numeric array

SYNOPSIS
array oci_fetch_array (resource $statement, [int $mode]) DESCRIPTION
Returns an array containing the next result-set row of a query. Each array entry corresponds to a column of the row. This function is typ- ically called in a loop until it returns FALSE, indicating no more rows exist. If $statement corresponds to a PL/SQL block returning Oracle Database 12c Implicit Result Sets, then rows from all sets are consecutively fetched. If $statement is returned by oci_get_implicit_resultset(3), then only the subset of rows for one child query are returned. For details on the data type mapping performed by the OCI8 extension, see the datatypes supported by the driver PARAMETERS
o $statement -A valid OCI8 statement identifier created by oci_parse(3) and executed by oci_execute(3), or a REF CURSOR statement identifier. Can also be a statement identifier returned by oci_get_implicit_resultset(3). o $mode - An optional second parameter can be any combination of the following constants: oci_fetch_array(3) Modes +-----------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +-----------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | OCI_BOTH | | | | | | | Returns an array with both associative and | | | numeric indices. This is the same as OCI_ASSOC + | | | OCI_NUM and is the default behavior. | | | | | | | | OCI_ASSOC | | | | | | | Returns an associative array. | | | | | | | | OCI_NUM | | | | | | | Returns a numeric array. | | | | | | | |OCI_RETURN_NULLS | | | | | | | Creates elements for NULL fields. The element | | | values will be a PHP NULL. | | | | | | | |OCI_RETURN_LOBS | | | | | | | Returns the contents of LOBs instead of the LOB | | | descriptors. | | | | +-----------------+---------------------------------------------------+ The default $mode is OCI_BOTH. Use the addition operator "+" to specify more than one mode at a time. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array with associative and/or numeric indices. If there are no more rows in the $statement then FALSE is returned. By default, LOB columns are returned as LOB descriptors. DATE columns are returned as strings formatted to the current date format. The default format can be changed with Oracle environment vari- ables such as NLS_LANG or by a previously executed ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT command. Oracle's default, non-case sensitive column names will have uppercase associative indices in the result array. Case-sensitive column names will have array indices using the exact column case. Use var_dump(3) on the result array to verify the appropriate case to use for each query. The table name is not included in the array index. If your query contains two different columns with the same name, use OCI_NUM or add a column alias to the query to ensure name uniqueness, see example #7. Otherwise only one column will be returned via PHP. EXAMPLES
Example #1 oci_fetch_array(3) with OCI_BOTH <?php $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT department_id, department_name FROM departments'); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_BOTH)) != false) { // Use the uppercase column names for the associative array indices echo $row[0] . " and " . $row['DEPARTMENT_ID'] . " are the same<br> "; echo $row[1] . " and " . $row['DEPARTMENT_NAME'] . " are the same<br> "; } oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #2 oci_fetch_array(3) with OCI_NUM <?php /* Before running, create the table: CREATE TABLE mytab (id NUMBER, description CLOB); INSERT INTO mytab (id, description) values (1, 'A very long string'); COMMIT; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT id, description FROM mytab'); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_NUM)) != false) { echo $row[0] . "<br> "; echo $row[1]->read(11) . "<br> "; // this will output first 11 bytes from DESCRIPTION } // Output is: // 1 // A very long oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #3 oci_fetch_array(3) with OCI_ASSOC <?php /* Before running, create the table: CREATE TABLE mytab (id NUMBER, description CLOB); INSERT INTO mytab (id, description) values (1, 'A very long string'); COMMIT; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT id, description FROM mytab'); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC)) != false) { echo $row['ID'] . "<br> "; echo $row['DESCRIPTION']->read(11) . "<br> "; // this will output first 11 bytes from DESCRIPTION } // Output is: // 1 // A very long oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #4 oci_fetch_array(3) with OCI_RETURN_NULLS <?php $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT 1, null FROM dual'); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array ($stid, OCI_ASSOC)) != false) { // Ignore NULLs var_dump($row); } /* The above code prints: array(1) { [1]=> string(1) "1" } */ $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT 1, null FROM dual'); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array ($stid, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_NULLS)) != false) { // Fetch NULLs var_dump($row); } /* The above code prints: array(2) { [1]=> string(1) "1" ["NULL"]=> NULL } */ ?> Example #5 oci_fetch_array(3) with OCI_RETURN_LOBS <?php /* Before running, create the table: CREATE TABLE mytab (id NUMBER, description CLOB); INSERT INTO mytab (id, description) values (1, 'A very long string'); COMMIT; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT id, description FROM mytab'); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_LOBS)) != false) { echo $row['ID'] . "<br> "; echo $row['DESCRIPTION'] . "<br> "; // this contains all of DESCRIPTION // In a loop, freeing the large variable before the 2nd fetch reduces PHP's peak memory usage unset($row); } // Output is: // 1 // A very long string oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #6 oci_fetch_array(3) with case sensitive column names <?php /* Before running, create the table: CREATE TABLE mytab ("Name" VARCHAR2(20), city VARCHAR2(20)); INSERT INTO mytab ("Name", city) values ('Chris', 'Melbourne'); COMMIT; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'select * from mytab'); oci_execute($stid); $row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_NULLS); // Because 'Name' was created as a case-sensitive column, that same // case is used for the array index. However uppercase 'CITY' must // be used for the case-insensitive column index print $row['Name'] . "<br> "; // prints Chris print $row['CITY'] . "<br> "; // prints Melbourne oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #7 oci_fetch_array(3) with columns having duplicate names <?php /* Before running, create the tables: CREATE TABLE mycity (id NUMBER, name VARCHAR2(20)); INSERT INTO mycity (id, name) values (1, 'Melbourne'); CREATE TABLE mycountry (id NUMBER, name VARCHAR2(20)); INSERT INTO mycountry (id, name) values (1, 'Australia'); COMMIT; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $sql = 'SELECT mycity.name, mycountry.name FROM mycity, mycountry WHERE mycity.id = mycountry.id'; $stid = oci_parse($conn, $sql); oci_execute($stid); $row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC); var_dump($row); // Output only contains one "NAME" entry: // array(1) { // ["NAME"]=> // string(9) "Australia" // } // To query a repeated column name, use an SQL column alias like "AS ctnm": $sql = 'SELECT mycity.name AS ctnm, mycountry.name FROM mycity, mycountry WHERE mycity.id = mycountry.id'; $stid = oci_parse($conn, $sql); oci_execute($stid); $row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC); var_dump($row); // Output now contains both columns selected: // array(2) { // ["CTNM"]=> // string(9) "Melbourne" // ["NAME"]=> // string(9) "Australia" // } oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #8 oci_fetch_array(3) with DATE columns <?php $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } // Set the date format for this connection. // For performance reasons, consider changing the format // in a trigger or with environment variables instead $stid = oci_parse($conn, "ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'YYYY-MM-DD'"); oci_execute($stid); $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT hire_date FROM employees WHERE employee_id = 188'); oci_execute($stid); $row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC); echo $row['HIRE_DATE'] . "<br> "; // prints 1997-06-14 oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #9 oci_fetch_array(3) with REF CURSOR <?php /* Create the PL/SQL stored procedure as: CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE myproc(p1 OUT SYS_REFCURSOR) AS BEGIN OPEN p1 FOR SELECT * FROM all_objects WHERE ROWNUM < 5000; END; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'BEGIN myproc(:rc); END;'); $refcur = oci_new_cursor($conn); oci_bind_by_name($stid, ':rc', $refcur, -1, OCI_B_CURSOR); oci_execute($stid); // Execute the returned REF CURSOR and fetch from it like a statement identifier oci_execute($refcur); echo "<table border='1'> "; while (($row = oci_fetch_array($refcur, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_NULLS)) != false) { echo "<tr> "; foreach ($row as $item) { echo " <td>".($item !== null ? htmlentities($item, ENT_QUOTES) : "&nbsp;")."</td> "; } echo "</tr> "; } echo "</table> "; oci_free_statement($refcur); oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #10 Pagination with oci_fetch_array(3) using a LIMIT-like query <?php $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } // Find the version of the database preg_match('/Release ([0-9]+)./', oci_server_version($conn), $matches); $oracleversion = $matches[1]; // This is the query you want to "page" through $sql = 'SELECT city, postal_code FROM locations ORDER BY city'; if ($oracleversion >= 12) { // Make use of Oracle 12c OFFSET / FETCH NEXT syntax $sql = $sql . ' OFFSET :offset ROWS FETCH NEXT :numrows ROWS ONLY'; } else { // Older Oracle versions need a nested query selecting a subset // from $sql. Or, if the SQL statement is known at development // time, consider using a row_number() function instead of this // nested solution. In production environments, be careful to // avoid SQL Injection issues with concatenation. $sql = "SELECT * FROM (SELECT a.*, ROWNUM AS my_rnum FROM ($sql) a WHERE ROWNUM <= :offset + :numrows) WHERE my_rnum > :offset"; } $offset = 0; // skip this many rows $numrows = 5; // return 5 rows $stid = oci_parse($conn, $sql); oci_bind_by_name($stid, ':numrows', $numrows); oci_bind_by_name($stid, ':offset', $offset); oci_execute($stid); while (($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC + OCI_RETURN_NULLS)) != false) { echo $row['CITY'] . " " . $row['POSTAL_CODE'] . "<br> "; } // Output is: // Beijing 190518 // Bern 3095 // Bombay 490231 // Geneva 1730 // Hiroshima 6823 oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> Example #11 oci_fetch_array(3) with Oracle Database 12 c Implicit Result Sets <?php $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/pdborcl'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } // Requires OCI8 2.0 and Oracle Database 12c // Also see oci_get_implicit_resultset() $sql = 'DECLARE c1 SYS_REFCURSOR; BEGIN OPEN c1 FOR SELECT city, postal_code FROM locations WHERE ROWNUM < 4 ORDER BY city; DBMS_SQL.RETURN_RESULT(c1); OPEN c1 FOR SELECT country_id FROM locations WHERE ROWNUM < 4 ORDER BY city; DBMS_SQL.RETURN_RESULT(c1); END;'; $stid = oci_parse($conn, $sql); oci_execute($stid); // Note: oci_fetch_all and oci_fetch() cannot be used in this manner echo "<table> "; while (($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_NULLS)) != false) { echo "<tr> "; foreach ($row as $item) { echo " <td>".($item!==null?htmlentities($item, ENT_QUOTES|ENT_SUBSTITUTE):"&nbsp;")."</td> "; } echo "</tr> "; } echo "</table> "; // Output is: // Beijing 190518 // Bern 3095 // Bombay 490231 // CN // CH // IN oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> NOTES
Note Associative array indices need to be in uppercase for standard Oracle columns that were created with case insensitive names. Note For queries returning a large number of rows, performance can be significantly improved by increasing oci8.default_prefetch or using oci_set_prefetch(3). Note The function oci_fetch_array(3) is insignificantly slower than oci_fetch_assoc(3) or oci_fetch_row(3), but is more flexible. SEE ALSO
oci_fetch(3), oci_fetch_all(3), oci_fetch_assoc(3), oci_fetch_object(3), oci_fetch_row(3), oci_set_prefetch(3). PHP Documentation Group OCI_FETCH_ARRAY(3)