Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can i delete the contents of one file based on another file Post 302347974 by panyam on Thursday 27th of August 2009 05:14:58 AM
Old 08-27-2009
Something like this :
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR { a[$0]=$0 ;next } { if($0 in a) {a[$0]="";}} END { for ( i in a) print a[i] }' file1 file2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a perl script (windows) to delete the contents of a file

Hi All, Im having a file named logserver.txt. I want a perl script to take a backup of that file, along with the datestamp; move the file to a different location or empty the contents of the file after backup. Remember, the file gets generated when the related service starts. My condition is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntgobinath
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines based on contents of another file

So, this issue is driving me nuts! I was hoping to get a lending hand here... I have 2 files: file1.txt contains: this is example1 this is example2 this is example3 this is example4 this is example5 file2.txt contains: example3 example5 Basically, I need a script or command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete block of text in one file based on list in another file

Hi all I currently use the following in shell. #!/bin/sh while read LINE do perl -i -ne "$/ = ''; print if !m'Using archive: ${LINE}'ms;" "datafile" done < "listfile" NOTE the single quote delimiters in the expression. It's highly likely the 'LINE' may very well have characters in it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare 2 file contents , if same delete 2nd file contents

Give shell script....which takes two file names as input and compares the contents, is both are same delete second file's contents..... I try with "diff"...... but confusion how to use "diff" with if ---else Thanking you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnampkkm
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count values based on contents of another file

Hello, I have two files as shown below: test1 678 679 689 690 710 test2 1 678 654 800 676 791 689 900 I want to get a count of lines from test2 whose columns bound the values in test1 I tried running the code below; however am getting wrong results. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file

Hi, I want to delete the contents of a file which are matching with contents of other file in shell scripting. Ex. file1 sheel,sumit,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 sumit,rana,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 grade,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 name,sur,33,1,4,12,3,5,6,8 sheel,pass,2,3,4,5,6,232,1,1 File2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranasheel2000
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find lines in another file based on contents in a second file

Hello, I have a file with tab delimited columns like: File1 A 2 C R F 4 D Q C 9 A B ...... I want to grep out the lines in a second file, File2, corresponding to each line in File1 Can I do this: while read a b c d do grep '$a\t$b\t$c\t$d' File2 >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparison based on contents

Hi I have 2 files 1.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 2.del ---- 1,2,3,4,5 1, 1,2,3,4,4 1,1,1,1,2 I need to compare the above two files in unix, as in the output should only tell the difference in contents as I should get only the line 1 ( from 2.del) , rest all lines are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ethen561
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
COMBINE(1)																COMBINE(1)

NAME
combine - combine sets of lines from two files using boolean operations SYNOPSIS
combine file1 and file2 combine file1 not file2 combine file1 or file2 combine file1 xor file2 _ file1 and file2 _ _ file1 not file2 _ _ file1 or file2 _ _ file1 xor file2 _ DESCRIPTION
combine combines the lines in two files. Depending on the boolean operation specified, the contents will be combined in different ways: and Outputs lines that are in file1 if they are also present in file2. not Outputs lines that are in file1 but not in file2. or Outputs lines that are in file1 or file2. xor Outputs lines that are in either file1 or file2, but not in both files. "-" can be specified for either file to read stdin for that file. The input files need not be sorted, and the lines are output in the order they occur in file1 (followed by the order they occur in file2 for the two "or" operations). Bear in mind that this means that the operations are not commutative; "a and b" will not necessarily be the same as "b and a". To obtain commutative behavior sort and uniq the result. Note that this program can be installed as "_" to allow for the syntactic sugar shown in the latter half of the synopsis (similar to the test/[ command). It is not currently installed as "_" by default, but you can alias it to that if you like. SEE ALSO
join(1) AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2012-04-09 COMBINE(1)