Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Finding PID of Killing process Post 302347796 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 11:55:22 AM
Old 08-26-2009
To keep the forums high quality for all users, please take the time to format your posts correctly.

First of all, use Code Tags when you post any code or data samples so others can easily read your code. You can easily do this by highlighting your code and then clicking on the # in the editing menu. (You can also type code tags [code] and [/code] by hand.)

Second, avoid adding color or different fonts and font size to your posts. Selective use of color to highlight a single word or phrase can be useful at times, but using color, in general, makes the forums harder to read, especially bright colors like red.

Third, be careful when you cut-and-paste, edit any odd characters and make sure all links are working property.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing PID's of ptree

gurus, normally to stop a process ,i need to kill all its child & then parent process. i do it manually as follows bash-2.03$ ps -ef | grep bpm|grep -v grep tibadmin 21882 21875 0 May 27 ? 0:00 /bin/sh ./bpmse_20.sh -Xms512m -Xmx512m /tibco/UpdateCustomer/dat/UpdateCustome ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing a process pid

What option is used with kill to cause the server to reread its config file. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing of a process and send a mail if the process doesnot come up within 2 minutes

Hi Friends, I am new to this forum as well as new to shell scripting. I have a problem here and i need someone to solve this. Let us consider there are two processes(abc & def).There is a script which kills these two processes(i.e killtheprocess abc). Here abc is the argument . There is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prince89
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing the process

Hi, First, I am running a scipt.While the script is running I realize that I dont want the script to be run so I am killing the script externally.Before the process gets terminated or killed it should delete all the temporary files created by the script.How to do this?Can anyone help me? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding PID of a process using variable substituition

Hi All, Am copying mulitple files in a directory in names File0,File1,File2 etc. I need to print separately the PID of these copies using File names. for((i=0;i<5;i++)) do mypid=`ps aux | awk '/File$i/ && !/awk/ { print $2 }'` echo PID is $mypid done It printed nothing. Thinking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for finding and killing sql process

hi, iam completely new to scripting. this may sound naive but i have spend lot of time figuring this out. i want to make a script to find number of sql processes running. If the number of processes are more then 200, then pick out process IDs along with query it is executing, which are running... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek Suhag
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need script for killing Pid in Linux

need script(shell or python) for killing pid in linux (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshan9995
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap killing PID

Hi, Just wonder if there is a way to identify the PID of the killing process using trap. Please let me know possible solution. #!/bin/ksh hello () { print "in hello"; print "PID of process issued SIGNAL"; --> this is what i'm looking for. } trap hello SIGKILL SIGTERM while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajendra_PH
3 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)