Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Match strings in two files and compare columns of both Post 302347621 by GarciasMuffin on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 06:42:06 AM
Old 08-26-2009
Match strings in two files and compare columns of both

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to achieve the following, preferably with a little commenting for understanding.

I have 2 files, each with multiple rows with multiple columns.

I need to find each row where the value in column 1 of file 1 matches column 1 in file 2. I then need to compare the 4th column from the rows and if the value in file 2 is greater than in file 1 then output to a third file the matching column 1 value, the 2nd column value,the 4th column value in file 1 and file 2 and the difference between them.

An example should make the above clearer.

File 1

123 john blah 2
456 tony blah 7
789 michelle blah 9
111 james blah 3

File 2

135 gary blah 6
456 tony blah 13
789 michelle blah 4
111 james blah 19

So the below should be output to file 3:

456 tony 7 13 6
111 james 3 19 16

Many thanks in advance for any answers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files & get only few columns based on a condition related to both files?

Hiiiii friends I have 2 files which contains huge data & few lines of it are as shown below File1: b.dat(which has 21 columns) SSR 1976 8 12 13 10 44.00 39.0700 70.7800 7.0 0 0.00 0 2.78 0.00 0.00 0 0.00 2.78 0 NULL ISC 1976 8 12 22 32 37.39 36.2942 70.7338... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare one files with strings from another + remove lines

Have two files and want to compare the content of file1 with file2. When matched remove the line. awk 'NR==FNR {b; next} !(b in $0)' file1 file2file1 1. if match 2. removefile2 1. this line has to be removed if match 2. this line has a match, remove 3. this line has no match, no removingThe... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match columns several files

Hey fellas! Here come my problem. I appreciate if you have a look at it. I have several files with following structure: file_1:1 21 4 45 file_2:2 31 4 153 6 341 and so on... and I have a 'reference' file look like this: File_ref:A 1 B 2 C 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match the columns between 2 files

I have two files I want to match ids in the 5th column of the file 1 with the first column of the file 2 and get the description for the matched ids as shown in the output sno nm no nm2 ID 1 cc 574372 yyyi |6810|51234| 2 bb 119721 nmjk |6810|51234|51179| ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match strings in 2 different files

Hi, i am trying to match strings from 2 different files based on position like below:- file1 (tab delimited) f07270 lololol fff u12730 gggddd dddkkrr mmm file2 (not tab delimited) %f07270 APSLH bl%alalalalallaadsdsfdfdfdgsgfss %g13450 GDIDFLRIP%ILITEAPPRKgsfgsgsf %d08880... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files by columns, then extract certain columns of matcing rows

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie to UNIX. I would appreciate any help with UNIX coding on comparing two large csv files (greater than 10 GB in size), and output a file with matching columns. I want to compare file1 and file2 by 'id' and 'chain' columns, then extract exact matching rows'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkane3
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match the columns between two files and output

Hi Help, I have two files namely a.txt and b.txt a.txt looks like a.txt 1 2 2 1 3 3 2 4 4 4 5 6 6 7 7 b.txt looks like, b.txt 1 2 1 1 3 2 2 4 3 3 4 4 4 5 5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Data match 2 files based on first 2 columns matching only and join if match

Hi, i have 2 files , the data i need to match is in masterfile and i need to pull out column 3 from master if column 1 and 2 match and output entire row to new file I have tried with join and awk and i keep getting blank outputs or same file is there an easier way than what i am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axis88
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match patterns between two files and extract certain range of strings

Hi, I need help to match patterns from between two different files and extract region of strings. inputfile1.fa >l-WR24-1:1 GCCGGCGTCGCGGTTGCTCGCGCTCTGGGCGCTGGCGGCTGTGGCTCTACCCGGCTCCGG GGCGGAGGGCGACGGCGGGTGGTGAGCGGCCCGGGAGGGGCCGGGCGGTGGGGTCACGTG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
4 Replies
MAILPARSE_UUDECODE_ALL(3)						 1						 MAILPARSE_UUDECODE_ALL(3)

mailparse_uudecode_all - Scans the data from fp and extract each embedded uuencoded file

SYNOPSIS
array mailparse_uudecode_all (resource $fp) DESCRIPTION
Scans the data from the given file pointer and extract each embedded uuencoded file into a temporary file. PARAMETERS
o $fp - A valid file pointer. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of associative arrays listing filename information. +-------------+-------------------------------------------------+ | | | | filename | | | | | | | Path to the temporary file name created | | | | | | | |origfilename | | | | | | | The original filename, for uuencoded parts only | | | | +-------------+-------------------------------------------------+ The first filename entry is the message body. The next entries are the decoded uuencoded files. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mailparse_uudecode_all(3) example <?php $text = <<<EOD To: fred@example.com hello, this is some text hello. blah blah blah. begin 644 test.txt /=&AI<R!I<R!A('1E<W0* ` end EOD; $fp = tmpfile(); fwrite($fp, $text); $data = mailparse_uudecode_all($fp); echo "BODY "; readfile($data[0]["filename"]); echo "UUE ({$data[1]['origfilename']}) "; readfile($data[1]["filename"]); // Clean up unlink($data[0]["filename"]); unlink($data[1]["filename"]); ?> The above example will output: BODY To: fred@example.com hello, this is some text hello. blah blah blah. UUE (test.txt) this is a test PHP Documentation Group MAILPARSE_UUDECODE_ALL(3)