Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Help Post 302347608 by drl on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 06:09:37 AM
Old 08-26-2009
Hi.
I suggest experimenting with bash builtin shopt:
Code:
       If the extglob shell option is enabled using the shopt builtin, several
       extended pattern matching operators are recognized.  In  the  following
       description, a pattern-list is a list of one or more patterns separated
       by a |.  Composite patterns may be formed using one or more of the fol-
       lowing sub-patterns:

?(pattern-list)
                     Matches zero or one occurrence of the given patterns
              *(pattern-list)
                     Matches zero or more occurrences of the given patterns
              +(pattern-list)
                     Matches one or more occurrences of the given patterns

-- excerpt from man bash

cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make your bash script run on a machine with csh and bash

hi, i have a script that runs on bash and would like to run it on a machine that has csh and bash. the default setting on that machine is csh. i dont want to change my code to run it with a csh shell. is there any way i can run the script (written in bash) on this machine? in other words is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays in bash using strings to bash built-in true

I have the following code and for some reason when I call the program using /home/tcdata/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/bash/raytrac.bash --cmod=jcdint.cmod I get hasArgument = hasArgument = true Somehow the array element is returning even though I have not chosen the option. ... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
41 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Im new to bash scriping and i found this expression on a bash script what does this mean.

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi espeacailly the top regex part? ---------- Post updated at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different behavior between bash shell and bash script for cmd

So I'm trying to pass certain json elements as env vars and use them later on in a script. Sample json: JSON='{ "Element1": "file-123456", "Element2": "Name, of, company written in, a very weird way", "Element3": "path/to/some/file.txt", }' (part of the) script: for s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed

In Bash shell - the ps -ef shows only the /bin/bash but the script name is not displayed ? Is there any way to get the script names for the process command ? --- Post updated at 08:39 AM --- in KSH (Korn Shell), my command output shows the script names but when run in the Bash Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
3 Replies
switch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 switch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
switch - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
switch ?options? string pattern body ?pattern body ...? switch ?options? string {pattern body ?pattern body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The switch command matches its string argument against each of the pattern arguments in order. As soon as it finds a pattern that matches string it evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. If the last pattern argument is default then it matches anything. If no pattern argument matches string and no default is given, then the switch command returns an empty string. If the initial arguments to switch start with - then they are treated as options. The following options are currently supported: -exact Use exact matching when comparing string to a pattern. This is the default. -glob When matching string to the patterns, use glob-style matching (i.e. the same as implemented by the string match command). -regexp When matching string to the patterns, use regular expression matching (as described in the re_syntax reference page). -- Marks the end of options. The argument following this one will be treated as string even if it starts with a -. Two syntaxes are provided for the pattern and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line switch commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unnec- essary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the pattern arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or vari- able substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. If a body is specified as ``-'' it means that the body for the next pattern should also be used as the body for this pattern (if the next pattern also has a body of ``-'' then the body after that is used, and so on). This feature makes it possible to share a single body among several patterns. Beware of how you place comments in switch commands. Comments should only be placed inside the execution body of one of the patterns, and not intermingled with the patterns. Below are some examples of switch commands: switch abc a - b {format 1} abc {format 2} default {format 3} will return 2, switch -regexp aaab { ^a.*b$ - b {format 1} a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 1, and switch xyz { a - b { # Correct Comment Placement format 1 } a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 3. SEE ALSO
for(n), if(n), regexp(n) KEYWORDS
switch, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 switch(n)