Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Dns configuration error in Redhat Post 302347548 by sahu.tapan on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 02:20:51 AM
Old 08-26-2009
Thanks fpmurphy!!!

Regards,
Tapan

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS configuration problem

Hi all, I am a beginner in DNS service and I face difficult when configure DNS sub domain using "bind" version 8. So I would like to ask a question about this and hope someone can answer my question. Is it possible to configure a sub domain in which the name of this sub domain is same as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raylai
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

proxy DNS configuration

i have the DNS and the web proxy services running on one of my sun machines....the funny thing is clients use the proxy server by addressing it with its IP address only....what i need is to assign it like...proxy.amu.edu.et...... my guess is the problem is the configuration with the DNS ...but i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henokia4j
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat DNS Entry

I have a installed Redhat Linux v5 on a new HP Pavillon PC. It has a dual boot with Vista. Booting from Vista, I can connect to the internet. However with Redhat I cannot connect to the internet. I looked at the /etc/resolv.conf file in Redhat and there is no DNS entry there. From where do I... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnilAnand
28 Replies

4. AIX

DNS configuration help

I'm trying to configure DNS on a AIX 5.4 machine and I just can't figure it out. The IBM guide doesn't work. Smit also doesn't work. I have no idea how to make this happen. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madavid0
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS Configuration in Solaris 10

Hi All, I have a list of few DNS server with hostnmae and IP which I need to setup in Solaris Servers...Can any one pls tell me the steps for setting up the above in solaris 10 & 9???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris5.10
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

DNS for linux RedHat

Dear members, I am trying to set up a simple DNS but the problem is that when I ping the name of the IP address in the Reverse file, it does not recognise it. My code are as follows: Note that my IP address is 172.22.45.237. In my /etc/named.conf file, I have added the following lines ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shakshakshuk
10 Replies

7. AIX

DNS configuration on AIX 6.1

Hello All, I want to install ORACLE RAC on AIX 6.1. In the installation guide. the below two points were mentioned: Each node must have at least two network adapters or network interface cards (NICs): one for the public network interface, and one for the private network interface (the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beayni33
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS mail server configuration

Hello fellow unix dudes, I have a question on DNS. Basically the error is my domain.com server can not send email to my mail.domain.com server. I have a virtual server with one IP say 192.10.11.12 and a mail server with iP 172.4.5.6 When the virutal server on ip 192.10.11.12 was setup,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

DNS issue in Redhat 9

Hi all m newbie in linux and trying to setup my internal DNS server for local network.After messing with DNS for hours i am posting this. i have configured /etc/resolve.conf, hostname with domain name in /etc/sysconfig/network file,/etc/hosts file with local host entry and zone file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
1 Replies
sv(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     sv(8)

NAME
sv - control and manage services monitored by runsv(8) SYNOPSIS
sv [-v] [-w sec] command services /etc/init.d/service [-w sec] command DESCRIPTION
The sv program reports the current status and controls the state of services monitored by the runsv(8) supervisor. services consists of one or more arguments, each argument naming a directory service used by runsv(8). If service doesn't start with a dot or slash and doesn't end with a slash, it is searched in the default services directory /etc/service/, otherwise relative to the current directory. command is one of up, down, status, once, pause, cont, hup, alarm, interrupt, 1, 2, term, kill, or exit, or start, stop, restart, shutdown, force-stop, force-reload, force-restart, force-shutdown. The sv program can be sym-linked to /etc/init.d/ to provide an LSB init script interface. The service to be controlled then is specified by the base name of the ``init script''. COMMANDS
status Report the current status of the service, and the appendant log service if available, to standard output. up If the service is not running, start it. If the service stops, restart it. down If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. If ./run exits, start ./finish if it exists. After it stops, do not restart service. once If the service is not running, start it. Do not restart it if it stops. pause cont hup alarm interrupt quit 1 2 term kill If the service is running, send it the STOP, CONT, HUP, ALRM, INT, QUIT, USR1, USR2, TERM, or KILL signal respectively. exit If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. Do not restart the service. If the service is down, and no log service exists, runsv(8) exits. If the service is down and a log service exists, send the TERM signal to the log service. If the log service is down, runsv(8) exits. This command is ignored if it is given to an appendant log service. sv actually looks only at the first character of these commands. Commands compatible to LSB init script actions status Same as status. start Same as up, but wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available; it's considered to be avail- able if ./check exits with 0. stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status or timeout. reload Same as hup, and additionally report the status afterwards. restart Send the commands term, cont, and up to the service, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and avail- able again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status or timeout. force-stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-reload Send the service the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-restart Send the service the term, cont and up commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. force-shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status, and on timeout send the ser- vice the kill command. try-restart if the service is running, send it the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. Additional Commands check Check for the service to be in the state that's been requested. Wait up to 7 seconds for the service to reach the requested state, then report the status or timeout. If the requested state of the service is up, and the script ./check exists in the service direc- tory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and running; it's considered to be up if ./check exits with 0. OPTIONS
-v If the command is up, down, term, once, cont, or exit, then wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. -w sec Override the default timeout of 7 seconds with sec seconds. This option implies -v. ENVIRONMENT
SVDIR The environment variable $SVDIR overrides the default services directory /etc/service/. SVWAIT The environment variable $SVWAIT overrides the default 7 seconds to wait for a command to take effect. It is overridden by the -w option. EXIT CODES
sv exits 0, if the command was successfully sent to all services, and, if it was told to wait, the command has taken effect to all ser- vices. For each service that caused an error (e.g. the directory is not controlled by a runsv(8) process, or sv timed out while waiting), sv increases the exit code by one and exits non zero. The maximum is 99. sv exits 100 on error. If sv is called with a base name other than sv: it exits 1 on timeout or trouble sending the command; if the command is status, it exits 3 if the service is down, and 4 if the status is unknown; it exits 2 on wrong usage, and 151 on error. SEE ALSO
runsv(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), runit(8), runit-init(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> sv(8)