Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: remove and replace
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove and replace Post 302347491 by ppat7046 on Tuesday 25th of August 2009 09:58:28 PM
Old 08-25-2009
Thank you so much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces between charc and replace it with ','.

Hi, Below is my output file: (The below line has multiple spaces bet charc and I want to replace spaces with "," only for the first line) NYCCMS97KJ931 01-JUN-08 1214957 I want this to be: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove and replace text in a file

Hello all, How would I go to a particular line in a file and remove certain text from it and replace with something that I want it to be there. like: file /etc/abc now look for line HOME="/export/xyz" in /etc/abc and then replace with HOME=/"export/xyz1" thanks in advance guys. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaix14
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Locate text in file then remove and replace

I'm trying to locate a block of text in a file, remove it and then replace with a new block. I can find the first line number that the text starts on using grep -n. I then need to locate the ending line by searching for the string "}" that follows the line I found. Here's the steps I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lchandle
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace/Remove not specific text in perl

Hello, Consider that i have many files that have the below format: file1 900 7777 1000 5 6 23 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 1100 kkkkkkk file2 900 1989 1000 5 3 10 kkkdfdfdffd 1100 kkkkkkk What i would like to do is on every file to search the line that starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Cannot remove and replace failed disk

-bash-3.00# zpool detach zonepool c1t1d0 cannot detach c1t1d0: only applicable to mirror and replacing vdevs -bash-3.00# zpool remove zonepool c1t1d0 cannot remove c1t1d0: only inactive hot spares, cache, top-level, or log devices can be removed -bash-3.00# zpool offline zonepool c1t1d0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Remove and replace repeated in file

Hi, i need to read a line from a file and count the number of times it appear in, then continuous to the second line with the same. So when i count a line i have to remove all duplicates in the file to not count it another time. while read line do n=$(grep -c $line File) print "$line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ToniX
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove/replace the very first character/symbol match

cat file.txt file 1123.x July 23:222 /cd/hh2/k39/ss2/f7d8d9d8e6r5t4s/dd2/e/s7a/s7a2afa5017d8b975-1.7-1395610245-b22e19bbc477b134 i wish to only extract out the 1.7 (anything within the first - -) i try to look for the sed command under match the first occurence of pattern but out of luck, my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace and remove few junk characters from a specific field?

I would like to remove all characters starting with "%" and ending with ")" in the 4th field - please help!! 1412007819.864 /device/services/heartbeatxx 204 0.547%!i(int=0) 0.434 0.112 1412007819.866 /device/services/heartbeatxx 204 0.547%!i(int=1) 0.423 0.123... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snemuk14
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove characters and replace with space

tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' < file-with-binary-chars > clean-file This removes special characters but how can I replace it with space (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove first 3 leadings zeros and replace with space

Hi Folks - I need help manipulating a file. For column 2, I need to replace the first 3 leading zeros with spaces. The file looks like such: 00098|00011250000003|00000000000.0200|D|1|07|51|04INDP |04|00820|CS|000000|092717|000000000000.0000|000|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
3 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
       replace - a string-replacement utility

SYNOPSIS
       replace arguments

DESCRIPTION
       The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input.

Note
	   The replace utility is deprecated as of MySQL 5.7.18 and is removed in MySQL 8.0.

Invoke replace in one of the following ways:

shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ...
	   shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name

from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings.

Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command
       line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it.	replace prints a message indicating which
       of the input files it actually modifies.

If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output.

replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps
       a and b in the given files, file1 and file2:

shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ...

replace supports the following options.

o   -?, -I

Display a help message and exit.

o   -#debug_options

Enable debugging.

o   -s

Silent mode. Print less information what the program does.

o   -v

Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does.

o   -V

Display version information and exit.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright (C) 1997, 2018, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
       published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
       MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
       Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

SEE ALSO
       For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online
       at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/.

AUTHOR
       Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/).

MySQL 5.7							    06/07/2018								REPLACE(1)