Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Raid 0 stripe size
Operating Systems Linux Raid 0 stripe size Post 302347469 by achenle on Tuesday 25th of August 2009 07:28:05 PM
Old 08-25-2009
No one's asked what file system will be going on this RAID array? That can have a large impact on the best stripe size for the array.

FWIW, I'm not aware of any free-as-in-beer Linux file systems that have a block size larger than 4K. Maybe btrfs does, but I don't think that's really ready to use yet, although I'll admit I haven't been following btrfs progress closely.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MSR magnetic stripe card reader

Hi all I am working on MSR110 ...Can anyone plz tell me how to use the configuration commands with magnetic reader???. Please help me out as i have to develop API in C on linux platform.MSR110 is not responding to the configuration commands. Please help... Regards Mahima (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahima_er
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Resizing veritas mirror-stripe volume

Hi, Is there are any special preocedure for extending veritas mirror-stripe volume? In my case , volume lay out looks as below v test - ENABLED ACTIVE 419430400 SELECT - fsgen pl test-01 test ENABLED ACTIVE 419454720 STRIPE 3/128 RW sd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2k7.vipin
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX striped LV - lslv stripe width has wrong value

Hello all. I have a volume group with 8 PV's, and a logical volume striped across these 8 volumes. However, an lslv is showing: STRIPE WIDTH: 9 STRIPE SIZE: 64k There's really only eight disks, so how can the stripe width be 9? ODM also showed this: # odmget CuAt |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scott
4 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

AIX : Create LV with poor man stripe

Hi all I have just had SAN allocate 4*30 GB of disks and had created a new scalable vg and assigned the disks to it: I used smitty to create vg and the command is: x -y'vgdata1' hdisk82 hdisk83 hdisk84 hdisk85 root@aadcxs08 / : lsvg vgdata1 VOLUME GROUP: vgdata1 VG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
4 Replies

5. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris volume manager- stripe?

Hello Admins.. I am going through solaris volume manager guide for RAID-0 concatenation and stripes, I do not understand the concept of stripe from following example of concatenation. There is an eample for concatenation: # metainit d25 1 1 c0t1d0s2 d25: Concat/Stripe is setup the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed or any commands to stripe data

Say i have: g_gateway domain="abc.com" to="123.123.123.123" relay="false" how do i use awk or sed or any method to get the result below: abc.com 123.123.123.123 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
3 Replies
stripe(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 stripe(8)

NAME
stripe - Stripes a file across several volumes in a file domain SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/stripe -n volume_count filename OPTIONS
Specifies the number of volumes the striped file crosses. The number of volumes must be greater than one. OPERANDS
Specifies the name of the file to stripe. DESCRIPTION
The stripe utility enables you to improve the read/write performance of a file. The stripe utility directs a zero-length file (a file with no data written to it yet) to be spread evenly across several volumes within a file domain. As data is appended to the file, the data is spread across the volumes. AdvFS determines the number of pages per stripe segment and alternates the segments among the disks in a sequen- tial pattern. Existing, nonzero-length files cannot be striped using the stripe utility. To stripe an existing file, create a new file, use the stripe utility to stripe the new file, and copy the contents of the file you want to stripe into the new striped file. After copying the file, delete the nonstriped file. Once a file is striped, you cannot use the stripe utility to modify the number of disks that a striped file crosses. To change the volume count of a striped file, you can create a second file with a new volume count, and then copy the contents of the first file into the second file. After copying the file, delete the first file. RESTRICTIONS
You cannot stripe a nonzero-length file or a file that is already striped. EXAMPLES
The following example stripes the file abc across three volumes in the same file domain: # stripe -n 3 abc The following example stripes an existing, nonzero-length file, foo, across three volumes in the same domain. First a new file, newfoo, is created and striped. Then, the contents of file foo are copied to the new, striped file: # touch newfoo # stripe -n 3 newfoo # cp foo newfoo SEE ALSO
advfs(4), showfile(8) stripe(8)