Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs command problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs command problem Post 302347075 by tiger66 on Monday 24th of August 2009 09:15:12 PM
Old 08-24-2009
xargs command problem

Hi
I am trying to use "xargs" command to loop through each file, modify it and overwrite the old file with the modification but with the same file name.

I thought it is easy but I just can't get it to work

I tried the following
I thought {} would give me the current file name, but it doesn't. It just create a file with name '{}'

Any idea?

Code:

ls ./Client*log | xargs nawk '{
if(match($3,/\^/){
   print substr($3, 2, length($3)-2)
}
}' > ./temp | xargs mv ./temp {}

Thanks in advance for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of xargs command

Hi Everybody, Can you explain the difference between the following commands: 1. find . -print|xargs grep -i dba_2pc_pending 2. find . -print|grep -i dba_2pc_pending (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorebabu
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using find and xargs

I'm using Imagemagick to create thumbnails for a large directory tree. The only thing I can't see is how to get it to write the thumbnails to a "thumbs" subdirectory! Either of these two commands from the Imagemagick site does most of the job: find -name '*.jpg' | xargs -n1 sh -c 'convert $0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixote
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with grep in combination with xargs

Dear all, I have tried the following 2 lines xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >>test < file_2 cat -s file_2| xargs -t -i -exec grep -i -w {} file_1 >> test They were meant to search for the contents of file_2 in file_1 and write the respective lines of file_1 into file "test" .... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruno
15 Replies

4. Solaris

Problem in using wildcard characters in xargs with find

Hi, Under my parent diectory I have directory named "Response" in many of its subfolders. I am interested to see all files with extention .pro in Response Directory. I am giving following command - find . -name "Response" -type d | xargs -i ls -lrt {}/*.pro but it is not giving result. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs problem

Hi From the xargs man page (Solaris): ls $1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $1/{} $2/{} This would move all the files in directory $1 to directory $2 Problem 1: In a shell script if I want to move files in d1 to d2 dir1=~/d1 dir2=~/d2 ls $dir1 | xargs -I {} -t mv $dir1/{} $dir2/{} does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs command

Hi The command below does not work. what I am doing wrong ? For some reason second part of the xargs command is not does what I expect If I get this working I intend to use it for multiple file rename later. echo archDP105144_1_702159963.dbf|xargs -i cp {} `echo {}|awk... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with xargs command..

ls -lrt | awk '$7==12{print $9}' | xargs -i mv {} $dir i executed this command but $dir does not exists....... and the files hv been moved but i dont know where ..... plz help(ASAP) thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptam
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using xargs with rm

I am trying to call xargs, however rm is complaining find . -maxdepth 1 -name "*tests*" -print0 | xargs -0 rm rm: missing operand Try `rm --help' for more information. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with xargs

I entered the following <zzz.list xargs showtell |more which does a echo "<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< $1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>" head -20 $1 The file zzz.list contains 525 lines representing user scripts (1 per line), but only the first, 181st, and 399th lines were processed. What am I missing? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies
lorder(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lorder(1)

NAME
lorder - Finds the best order for member files in an object library SYNOPSIS
lorder file... DESCRIPTION
The lorder command is essentially obsolete. Use the following command in its place: % ar -ts file.a The lorder command reads one or more object or library archive files, looks for external references, and writes a list of paired filenames to standard output. The first of each pair of files contains references to identifiers that are defined in the second file. You can send this list to the tsort command to find an ordering of a library member file suitable for 1-pass access by ld. If object files do not end with lorder overlooks them and attributes their global symbols and references to some other file. EXAMPLES
To create a subroutine library, enter: lorder charin.o scanfld.o scan.o scanln.o | tsort | xargs ar qv libsubs.a (Enter this command entirely on one line, not on two lines as shown above.) This creates a subroutine library named libsubs.a that contains charin.o, scanfld.o, scan.o, and scanln.o. The ordering of the object mod- ules in the library is important. The lorder and tsort commands together add the subroutines to the library in the proper order. Suppose that scan.o calls entry points in scanfld.o and scanln.o. scanfld.o also calls entry points in charin.o. First, the lorder command creates a list of pairs that shows these dependencies: charin.o charin.o scanfld.o scanfld.o scan.o scan.o scanln.o scanln.o scanfld.o charin.o scanln.o charin.o scan.o scanfld.o This list is piped to the tsort command, which converts the list into the ordering that is needed: scan.o scanfld.o scanln.o charin.o Note that each module precedes the module it calls. charin.o, which does not call another module, is last. The second list is then piped to xargs, which constructs and runs the following ar command: ar qv libsubs.a scan.o scanfld.o scanln.o charin.o This ar command creates the properly ordered library. FILES
Temporary files SEE ALSO
Commands: ar(1), as(1), cc(1), ld(1), make(1), nm(1), size(1), strip(1), tsort(1), xargs(1) Files: a.out(4), ar(4) lorder(1)