Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logger + filter
Operating Systems Solaris logger + filter Post 302347065 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 24th of August 2009 08:16:29 PM
Old 08-24-2009
Code:
...| grep 'things you are interested in' | logger -p user.err

or
Code:
...| grep -v 'things you are NOT interested in' | logger -p user.err

Or a combination
Code:
...| grep 'things you are interested in' | grep -v 'specific things you are NOT interested in that would normally be included by the first grep' | logger -p user.err

Or just keep it all and have your syslog.conf set to put it all in a different file, then manage it via logadm etc to keep the size under control.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logger Command

Hi I have a command in a script . /usr/bin/iostat -E I would like to place an entry in /var/adm/messages (via syslog) as a daemon.notice using the logger command but i just cant work out the syntax for this , do I pipe the output of iostat into logger? or is it redirected...can somebody give me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Programming

Key logger

I want to program my own key logger to register every key pushed on my system... could i record clicks? Well, my question in fact is not one at all... because i dont have a starting point. I'll appreciate your bases :(. ty. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Unix keystroke logger

Hi all, Does anyone know if there is a tool in the market that could do the following when System Admin log to the server as root and perform activities according to his change request: - trap or log his keystroke for the entire duration - provide a report on the changes SA has made to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Mounting temperature logger on Centos 7.0

When inserting a temperature logger into a Centos 7.0 machine, the relevant dmesg lines read: usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci usb 2-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=82cd usb 2-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0 usb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logger command not working for one script

Hi, On RHEL 7.2, I created below script in cronjob for every minute. If this process is found to be not running, it should record message in /var/adm/xymessages, start it and send email. #!/bin/bash source /export/home/prodadm/.bash_profile if ; then ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
8 Replies
LOGGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 LOGGER(1)

NAME
logger -- a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module SYNOPSIS
logger [-isd] [-f file] [-p pri] [-t tag] [-u socket] [message ...] DESCRIPTION
Logger makes entries in the system log. It provides a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module. Options: -i Log the process id of the logger process with each line. -s Log the message to standard error, as well as the system log. -f file Log the specified file. -p pri Enter the message with the specified priority. The priority may be specified numerically or as a ``facility.level'' pair. For example, ``-p local3.info'' logs the message(s) as informational level in the local3 facility. The default is ``user.notice.'' -t tag Mark every line in the log with the specified tag. -u sock Write to socket as specified with socket instead of builtin syslog routines. -d Use a datagram instead of a stream connection to this socket. -- End the argument list. This is to allow the message to start with a hyphen (-). message Write the message to log; if not specified, and the -f flag is not provided, standard input is logged. The logger utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. Valid facility names are: auth, authpriv (for security information of a sensitive nature), cron, daemon, ftp, kern (can't be generated from user process), lpr, mail, news, security (deprecated synonym for auth), syslog, user, uucp, and local0 to local7, inclusive. Valid level names are): alert, crit, debug, emerg, err, error (deprecated synonym for err), info, notice, panic (deprecated synonym for emerg), warning, warn (deprecated synonym for warning). For the priority order and intended purposes of these levels, see syslog(3). EXAMPLES
logger System rebooted logger -p local0.notice -t HOSTIDM -f /dev/idmc SEE ALSO
syslog(3), syslogd(8) STANDARDS
The logger command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. AVAILABILITY
The logger command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution June 6, 1993 4.3 Berkeley Distribution