Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: logger + filter
Operating Systems Solaris logger + filter Post 302347065 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 24th of August 2009 08:16:29 PM
Old 08-24-2009
Code:
...| grep 'things you are interested in' | logger -p user.err

or
Code:
...| grep -v 'things you are NOT interested in' | logger -p user.err

Or a combination
Code:
...| grep 'things you are interested in' | grep -v 'specific things you are NOT interested in that would normally be included by the first grep' | logger -p user.err

Or just keep it all and have your syslog.conf set to put it all in a different file, then manage it via logadm etc to keep the size under control.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logger Command

Hi I have a command in a script . /usr/bin/iostat -E I would like to place an entry in /var/adm/messages (via syslog) as a daemon.notice using the logger command but i just cant work out the syntax for this , do I pipe the output of iostat into logger? or is it redirected...can somebody give me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Programming

Key logger

I want to program my own key logger to register every key pushed on my system... could i record clicks? Well, my question in fact is not one at all... because i dont have a starting point. I'll appreciate your bases :(. ty. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Unix keystroke logger

Hi all, Does anyone know if there is a tool in the market that could do the following when System Admin log to the server as root and perform activities according to his change request: - trap or log his keystroke for the entire duration - provide a report on the changes SA has made to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Mounting temperature logger on Centos 7.0

When inserting a temperature logger into a Centos 7.0 machine, the relevant dmesg lines read: usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci usb 2-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=82cd usb 2-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0 usb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logger command not working for one script

Hi, On RHEL 7.2, I created below script in cronjob for every minute. If this process is found to be not running, it should record message in /var/adm/xymessages, start it and send email. #!/bin/bash source /export/home/prodadm/.bash_profile if ; then ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)