Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers top output for a specific process to a file Post 302346960 by Bloke on Monday 24th of August 2009 01:31:49 PM
Old 08-24-2009
top output for a specific process to a file

Hi,

I have the following script, and it is driving me nuts.
It just hangs, I've tried all kinds of tricks, but it won't work.
I know it can, it is pretty straight forward.

It hangs when it tries to output $X

Any help appreciated!

PHP Code:
#!/bin/bash
set -o xtrace
command
="top -b"
process1="ksoftirqd"
testFile=testFileTop_`uname -n`
echo 
"testFile: " $testFile
echo > $testFile
echo "timeStamp ms1Rss ms1Vsize ms2Rss ms2Vsize ms3Rss ms3Vsize ms4Rss ms4Vsize msmlConRss msmlConVsize" $testFile
for ((;;)); do

currentTime=`date| awk '{print $4}'`
  echo 
"currentTime: " $currentTime

echo "command    : " $command

echo "process1   : " $process1
  X
=`$command | grep $process1 | awk '{print $8" "$9}'`
  echo 
$currentTime $X >> $testFile
  sleep 3s
  cat $testFile
done 

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting my output to a specific file

Hi guys am doing some checking inside my script and i want to redirect my output to a specific file for example checking if a move was successfully done and was writing on the screen whether the move was successful or not and now want to write same thing into a file... I am new to shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

catpure output of 'top' in a file

#!/bin/sh echo `date +%F:%T` >> top.out echo `top -n1` >> top.out Hi all, i am trying to capture the output of the 'top' command in linux. when i run the command manually, it works. However, when i run it as a cronjob,the 'top' output is not being printed to the file,only the date is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

top output for six processes with the same name, output changed from column to row

Hi, I have a system under test, and I use a script that does a ps. The output, is in the following format, it's basically the timestamp, followed by the rss and vsize. 09:03:57 68404 183656 68312 181944 69860 217360 67536 182564 69072 183172 69032 199276 09:04:27 68752 183292 70000 189020... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Output top to file

Hi, I've installed SMCtop on to a Solaris 9 sparc server and I am trying to capture the output of top to a file without success. The version of top I have installed is top-3.6.1-sol9-sparc-local.gz. All my attempts are below. # /usr/local/bin/top -d 5 -f /tmp/top.out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
3 Replies

6. Solaris

top output and swap -s output are differing

Solaris experts, Am struggling, and wondering for the past more than one week that, how to calculate the total available and used memory/swap space. Finally installed and used top & got some understanding, but while cross-checking, there are mismatches. Main Memory top o/p - 2GB... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegeek
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process from a file or directly with top

i have edited a script to kill an exact mysql process is causing the high load on the server, my problem is, kill dont kill it! script: #!/bin/sh top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld | awk '{print $1}' > pid proc='cat pid' kill -9 $proc or i try with kill -9 `top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandro
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

output strings to specific positions in a file

Been searching for about 3 hours for similar functionality that I can get examples of how to output text from variables into certain locations in a file. I would like to incorporate this into a script. I have not been able to find a command example that does it all in one method. I find part of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bennu_500
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Formatted TOP command output in file

Hi All, I want generate HP-UX overall system performance report. I tried executing top command and write that out put to file. but am not able to view the report in proper format. I can see report like below in file but i can see properly in terminal. Please suggest how can i get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lravip123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output specific matches in file

Using the attached file, the below awk command results in the output below: I can not seem to produce the desired results and need some expert help. Thank you :). awk -F'' ' { id += $4 value += $5 occur++ } END{ printf "%-8s%8s%8s%8s\n", "Gene", "Targets", "Average Depth", "Average... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
PHP_UNAME(3)								 1							      PHP_UNAME(3)

php_uname - Returns information about the operating system PHP is running on

SYNOPSIS
string php_uname ([string $mode = "a"]) DESCRIPTION
php_uname(3) returns a description of the operating system PHP is running on. This is the same string you see at the very top of the phpinfo(3) output. For the name of just the operating system, consider using the PHP_OS constant, but keep in mind this constant will con- tain the operating system PHP was built on. On some older UNIX platforms, it may not be able to determine the current OS information in which case it will revert to displaying the OS PHP was built on. This will only happen if your uname() library call either doesn't exist or doesn't work. PARAMETERS
o $mode -$mode is a single character that defines what information is returned: o 'a': This is the default. Contains all modes in the sequence "s n r v m". o 's': Operating system name. eg. FreeBSD. o 'n': Host name. eg. localhost.example.com. o 'r': Release name. eg. 5.1.2-RELEASE. o 'v': Version information. Varies a lot between operating systems. o 'm': Machine type. eg. i386. RETURN VALUES
Returns the description, as a string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Some php_uname(3) examples <?php echo php_uname(); echo PHP_OS; /* Some possible outputs: Linux localhost 2.4.21-0.13mdk #1 Fri Mar 14 15:08:06 EST 2003 i686 Linux FreeBSD localhost 3.2-RELEASE #15: Mon Dec 17 08:46:02 GMT 2001 FreeBSD Windows NT XN1 5.1 build 2600 WINNT */ if (strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3)) === 'WIN') { echo 'This is a server using Windows!'; } else { echo 'This is a server not using Windows!'; } ?> There are also some related Predefined PHP constants that may come in handy, for example: Example #2 A few OS related constant examples <?php // *nix echo DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR; // / echo PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX; // so echo PATH_SEPARATOR; // : // Win* echo DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR; // echo PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX; // dll echo PATH_SEPARATOR; // ; ?> SEE ALSO
phpversion(3), php_sapi_name(3), phpinfo(3). PHP Documentation Group PHP_UNAME(3)