Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .bash_history
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting .bash_history Post 302346940 by chompy on Monday 24th of August 2009 12:44:05 PM
Old 08-24-2009
I know for redhat systems you can activate psacct. Its what you normally use for monitoring that type of activity. You can't stop a user from seeing their own bash_history, as its located in their home directory - which is their little slice of the pie. Its kind of necessary for the shell to function properly.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

Question for all sysadmins. How do you keep track of what commands each user uses on his account. I thought an easy way is to monitor .bash_history, however those files can be "edited" by the user. Is there a permission combination that will allow the shell to record to it but yet they can't edit... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason6792
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change .bash_history to another one

we need the help to change .bash_histroy file in root ,(i.e) we want to save the histroy for .temp.txt for permenently. how to do?? Help us (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thakshina
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history

During the course of the session before I logout I see some of the commands listed from my previous session but not from my current session and after I logout and log back in I see the commands which I ran before logging out. Does the .bash_history stay in the buffer or someplace else then? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history modification

Hi Experts, I know my question would be strange but i need to understand how the .bash_history file is logging user actions (the mechanism) and if possible modify it to include also the date/time of every action done by the user. Sample file: # more .bash_history ssh <IP address> -l axadmin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to store time in .bash_history file

Hi - user commands are written in . bash_history of that user when he logs out. my bash_history file shows. not sure what that number means #1329618972 ls -la #1329618978 ls #1329618980 ls -la my bash_profile looks like this PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin export PATH export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to recover .bash_history?

rm -rf .bash_history some one ran rm -rf .bash_history on my Linux server(SUSE),I can see this command being run in current history, but I want the OLD history as well,can I recover the old history back. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankit Bansal
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display .bash_history with timestamp using script

Hi would like to ask if there is anyway to display .bash_history with timestamp using shell script? i know that you should use history command with HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " to display it in terminal but it does not work when i use it on shell script. It seem that you can't run history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pikamon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get the "history" command to show all that is in the .bash_history file?

I am using the bash shell. When I view my recent command history using the "history" command from the prompt, it only shows me the commands starting at #928. The commands I need are earlier than that, but I can't figure out how to make the other 927 display. They are in my .bash_history... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
SYSTEMD.SLICE(5)                                                   systemd.slice                                                  SYSTEMD.SLICE(5)

NAME
systemd.slice - Slice unit configuration SYNOPSIS
slice.slice DESCRIPTION
A unit configuration file whose name ends in ".slice" encodes information about a slice unit. A slice unit is a concept for hierarchically managing resources of a group of processes. This management is performed by creating a node in the Linux Control Group (cgroup) tree. Units that manage processes (primarily scope and service units) may be assigned to a specific slice. For each slice, certain resource limits may be set that apply to all processes of all units contained in that slice. Slices are organized hierarchically in a tree. The name of the slice encodes the location in the tree. The name consists of a dash-separated series of names, which describes the path to the slice from the root slice. The root slice is named -.slice. Example: foo-bar.slice is a slice that is located within foo.slice, which in turn is located in the root slice -.slice. Note that slice units cannot be templated, nor is possible to add multiple names to a slice unit by creating additional symlinks to its unit file. By default, service and scope units are placed in system.slice, virtual machines and containers registered with systemd-machined(1) are found in machine.slice, and user sessions handled by systemd-logind(1) in user.slice. See systemd.special(5) for more information. See systemd.unit(5) for the common options of all unit configuration files. The common configuration items are configured in the generic [Unit] and [Install] sections. The slice specific configuration options are configured in the [Slice] section. Currently, only generic resource control settings as described in systemd.resource-control(5) are allowed. See the New Control Group Interfaces[1] for an introduction on how to make use of slice units from programs. IMPLICIT DEPENDENCIES
The following dependencies are implicitly added: o Slice units automatically gain dependencies of type After= and Requires= on their immediate parent slice unit. DEFAULT DEPENDENCIES
The following dependencies are added unless DefaultDependencies=no is set: o Slice units will automatically have dependencies of type Conflicts= and Before= on shutdown.target. These ensure that slice units are removed prior to system shutdown. Only slice units involved with late system shutdown should disable DefaultDependencies= option. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.unit(5), systemd.resource-control(5), systemd.service(5), systemd.scope(5), systemd.special(7), systemd.directives(7) NOTES
1. New Control Group Interfaces https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ControlGroupInterface/ systemd 237 SYSTEMD.SLICE(5)