Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Permission denied, but user is owner and has group ownership too Post 302346717 by scottrus on Monday 24th of August 2009 02:38:36 AM
Old 08-24-2009
File and Directory permissions.

Hi,
Yes I have been speaking with the weblogic folks, I had two avenues of thought, one was that is was a unix issue, and the other that it was a weblogic iasue.

Webogic offerred a workaround of sorts. The file is a weblogic file store, and we have moved the file store "Synchronous write policy" from "Direct Write" to "Cache-Flush". However there is a performance hit in doing so, and we effectively bypass the "direct I/O" in weblogic.

I am still working on it, and all the comments have helped, in at least eliminating what it is not. I can kill the jvm and still the file has some kind of a lock on it. But I am wondering what tools can I use to find what has the lock and how to stop it. Maybe Weblogic will come back with a better answer, which I will post here, but till then, I am still going down the unix route....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

permission, owner and group

hello I search a script (ksh for Aix 5.3) to save all permissions, groups and owner for all files. Because we work much to change it, and a mystake ......! So i want execute this script to save/ execute permissions for all files. If you have this script, thank you for your help ;) best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

2. Linux

files ownership/permission problem

all the files and directories in my system are owned by root only.i try to(from root loggin) change the permission on the file but not permitted.can any one help to fix my problem .also while installing any software always error occur like no makefile available (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jop
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am the owner,yet not allowed the change the ownership

sm860 IS the owner of the files below,but yet sm860 cannot change the ownership to bpt3a1.Please let me know why ? See below for details --- sm860@unixs741_DEV:/usr/gdp/home/ftp/bpt3a1/incoming/ahdb/T5/pcasav/daily $ ls -l pcasav* -rw-r--r-- 1 sm860 gdpintegrators 821 Sep 21 16:15... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSHETTY
8 Replies

4. Red Hat

changing wtmp ownership and permission

Hi, I am using redhat AS 3. Recently, I was asked to implement a security control on the OS: to change ownership of /var/log/wtmp to root:sys and permission to 600. However, when I made the change and reboot the machine, everything was reverted. How come? Please help. The following is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: voa2mp3
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

group & user permission question

Folks; I'd like to create a group on my Linux box & add a few users to it. Is there a way to do so and restrict this group/users to have access to only one or directory trees? Let's say i need this group to only have a read write access to only these two directories /opt/Virtu & /fsn/comers ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding changing ownership and group

i am able to change the mode using chmod and able to change permission. but i am not able to change group and ownership. getting as invalid can any one help me regarding this . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkr_cse
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

9. Solaris

setfacl don't change permission on group owner

I try to use setfacl command to change the permission of the group primary it does not accept the command , it really accept but don't change the permission on the group. the point here I read that if I use chmod command on group primary the mask changed, but if I use setfacl mask should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hard_revenge
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with user rights (Permission denied)

I have a script that do read data for Munin Graph. My problem is that it have some reading problems, and I do not know how to fix it. script traf.sh (its not the complete script)#!/bin/sh PORT="80" NETDEVICE="eth0" IPTRAFlogdir="/var/log/iptraf" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
8 Replies
FLOCK(1)							   User Commands							  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock - manage locks from shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [-sxon] [-w timeout] lockfile [-c] command... flock [-sxon] [-w timeout] lockdir [-c] command... flock [-sxun] [-w timeout] fd DESCRIPTION
This utility manages flock(2) locks from within shell scripts or the command line. The first and second forms wraps the lock around the executing a command, in a manner similar to su(1) or newgrp(1). It locks a specified file or directory, which is created (assuming appropriate permissions), if it does not already exist. The third form is convenient inside shell scripts, and is usually used the following manner: ( flock -n 9 || exit 1 # ... commands executed under lock ... ) 9>/var/lock/mylockfile The mode used to open the file doesn't matter to flock; using > or >> allows the lockfile to be created if it does not already exist, how- ever, write permission is required; using < requires that the file already exists but only read permission is required. By default, if the lock cannot be immediately acquired, flock waits until the lock is available. OPTIONS
-s, --shared Obtain a shared lock, sometimes called a read lock. -x, -e, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock, sometimes called a write lock. This is the default. -u, --unlock Drop a lock. This is usually not required, since a lock is automatically dropped when the file is closed. However, it may be required in special cases, for example if the enclosed command group may have forked a background process which should not be hold- ing the lock. -n, --nb, --nonblock Fail (with an exit code of 1) rather than wait if the lock cannot be immediately acquired. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail (with an exit code of 1) if the lock cannot be acquired within seconds seconds. Decimal fractional values are allowed. -o, --close Close the file descriptor on which the lock is held before executing command. This is useful if command spawns a child process which should not be holding the lock. -c, --command command Pass a single command to the shell with -c. -h, --help Print a help message. AUTHOR
Written by H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2006 H. Peter Anvin. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
flock(2) AVAILABILITY
The flock command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2006 FLOCK(1)