Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: talk command to chat
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers talk command to chat Post 302346712 by miltonkeynesguy on Monday 24th of August 2009 02:10:36 AM
Old 08-24-2009
Hi Denny,

I could see the following entry in /etc/inetd.conf

[aaaa@xxxx] $ grep -i talk /etc/inetd.conf
ntalk dgram udp wait root /usr/lbin/ntalkd ntalkd

FYI, this is HPUX.

[aaaa@xxxx] $ which talk
/usr/bin/talk

[aaaa@xxxx] $ ls -ltr /usr/bin/talk
-r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 32768 Nov 14 2000 /usr/bin/talk

Regards,
Girish.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

talk command to chat

Hi, Could you please advice on the following query: There are 2 users on a unix box: 1. aaaa 2. bbbb I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users. Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb. talk bbbb or talk bbbb@hostname Result: the screen goes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with using talk command

using talk option i tried to send message to my team mate. for connecting to one unix box, we are having a common userid and password except that, the ip addresses will change for me it is x.x.x.4, for my colleague it is x.x.x.3 These are the steps i did > who <userid> pts/2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

3. Linux

How do I capture responses from the chat command?

Unfortunately googling the word 'chat' gives you zebedee billion responses that relate to everything and few of them refer to the linux chat command. I've read the man page and found a couple of examples but can't see how to do this. I want to query the modem for it's manufacturer, product id... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

4. Web Development

Can you embed Skype or any other video chat/chat program into a webpage?

Hi, I am trying to embed Skype or any other video chat/chat program into a webpage. Has anyone had success doing this? or know how? Thanks Phil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Very Funny and Somewhat Amazing 2006 Chat Bot Chat

Working on the badging system, Just found this old thread for 2006 and started reading it. ROTFL ... what a great discussion between forum members and our chat bot Gollum "back in the good old days"... You must check this out if you want a laugh and big smile: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)