Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract lines from files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract lines from files Post 302346601 by my_Perl on Sunday 23rd of August 2009 09:55:20 AM
Old 08-23-2009
Thanks a lot. It was excellent piece of work. It worked.

Cheers
my_perl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

is it hard to extract particular lines & strings from the files??

Hi Experts, I have lots of big size files. Below is the snapshot of a file. From the files i want extract informmation like belows. What could be command or script for that? DELETE RESP:940120105 CREATE RESP:0 GET RESP:0 File contains like below- ... ... <log... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract nth line of all files and print in output file on separate lines.

Hello UNIX experts, I have 124 text files in a directory. I want to extract the 45678th line of all the files sequentialy by file names. The extracted lines should be printed in the output file on seperate lines. e.g. The input Files are one.txt, two.txt, three.txt, four.txt The cat of four... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract lines between tags into different files?

I have an xml file with the below data: unix>Cat address.xml <Address City=”Amsterdam” Street = “station straat” ZIPCODE="2516 CK " </Address> <Address City=”Amsterdam” Street = “Leeuwen straat” ZIPCODE="2517 AB " </Address> <Address City=”The Hauge” Street = “kirk straat” ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract lines with specific words with addition 2 lines before and after

Dear all, Greetings. I would like to ask for your help to extract lines with specific words in addition 2 lines before and after these lines by using awk or sed. For example, the input file is: 1 ak1 abc1.0 1 ak2 abc1.0 1 ak3 abc1.0 1 ak4 abc1.0 1 ak5 abc1.1 1 ak6 abc1.1 1 ak7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you extract (remove) lines from log files?

I use "MineOS" (a linux distro with python scripts and web ui included for managing a Minecraft Server). The author of the scripts is currently having a problem with the Minecraft server log file being spammed with certain entries. He's working on clearing up the spam. But in the meantime, I'm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines from text files

I have some files containing the following data # RESIDUE AA STRUCTURE BP1 BP2 ACC N-H-->O O-->H-N N-H-->O O-->H-N TCO KAPPA ALPHA PHI PSI X-CA Y-CA Z-CA 1 196 A M 0 0 230 0, 0.0 2,-0.2 0, 0.0 0, 0.0 0.000 360.0 360.0 360.0 76.4 21.7 -6.8 11.3 2 197 A D + 0 0 175 1,-0.1 2,-0.1 0, 0.0 0, 0.0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: edweena
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines that appear twice

I have a text file that looks like this : root/user/usr1/0001/abab1* root/user/usr1/0001/abab2* root/user/usr1/0002/acac1* root/user/usr1/0002/acac2* root/user/usr1/0003/adad1* root/user/usr1/0004/aeae1* root/user/usr1/0004/aeae2* How could I code this to extract just the subjects... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeftoverStew
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract the same lines from the two files

I used to use this script to extract the same lines from two files: grep -f file1 file2 > outputfile now I have file1 AB029895 AF208401 AF309648 AF526378 AJ444445 AJ720950 AJ851546 AY568629 AY591907 AY994087 BU116401 BU116599 BU119689 BU121308 BU125622 BU231446 BU236750 BU237045 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuejian
4 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)