Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with dynamic variables outside the loop Post 302346552 by kk17 on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 11:24:14 PM
Old 08-23-2009
thanks for your reply....it works fine with curly braces.

eval file$i=$outbound_dir/\$in_file$i
eval echo "filename is \$file$i"
eval temp_file=$outbound_dir/\$in_file$i

eval FILE${i}_LINE_COUNT=`wc -l < $temp_file`

Can i use $file$i instead of $temp_file in the above line ??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variables within shell script

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement of writting the shell script where it should ask me two values FND_TOP=/d02/app/oracle/xxx/fnd/11.5.0 CDCRM_TOP=/d02/app/oracle/xxx/cdcrm/11.5.0 and then keep these values stored as variables for the execution of rest of the script. Because, I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dynamic variables

I am new to unix and the following problem is bugging me.:confused: var1="hello1" var2="hello2" var3="hello3" counter=1 while do echo $var$counter done the idea here is to display the value of "var" based on the counter. I am using the korn shell. I used array here but the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_payne1234
4 Replies

3. Programming

global variables and dynamic allocation

Hi, is it possible in C to allocate dynamically a global variable?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variables and eval

Hi, I need some direction with the following. The below code is semi-psuedo code which will hopefully make it easier to understand what I am trying to achieve: for i in `echo ${testarray }` do let c=c+1 eval "first$c=$i" while... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonderboy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Defining Dynamic Number of Variables in a Bash Script

Code: $ cat test.bash #!/bin/bash job=$1 steps=$2 num=$(echo "$@" | wc -w) Example Submission: $ ./test.bash BS01 3 1 2 3 What: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variables - eval - expand etc.

Hello, so i'm making a script, using dynamic variables and trying to expand them. So far it hasn't worked out too well so it seems that I need some help from you, the elite. Example: #!/bin/sh counter=0 until (($counter>5)) counter2=1 until (($counter2>6)); do if ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Dynamic Variables from a Flat File

Greetings all, Been trying to do my Googling and forum searches but can't seem to lock in on a solution. I have a script that parses a log and collects all the uniq events to a flat file. Some days might have 50 unique events, other days might have 75. (Hence my reference to dynamic.) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjrupp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create, validate and using dynamic variables in Bash scripting

Hi All, I am really struggling to solve this problem, this might be small but I am not able to, can somebody help me? I have few directories and these directories receives text files in large amount with in fraction of seconds. So I just want to send all the files in current directory to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VasuKukkapalli
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

'Dynamic' setting of variables in bash script

Hi all, I want to dynamically set variables in a bash script. I made a naive attempt in a while loop that hopefully can clarify the idea. n=0; echo "$lst" | while read p; do n=$(($n+1)); p"$n"="$p"; done The error message is: bash: p1=line1: command not found bash: p2=line2: command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating dynamic variables

Hi , i am unable to generate dynamic variables can any one please help me on the below issue j=1 {record_count_"$j"}=`db2 -xselect substr\(job_name,24\) rec_count from $libname.audit_table_nrt where job_name like \'DATAMART_DEL_RUN%\' and STS_FLAG=\'E\' and seq_no=$i` echo " record... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar v
3 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEUser3Contributed Perl DocuPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval - Write "eval { my $foo; bar($foo) }" instead of "eval "my $foo; bar($foo);"". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
The string form of "eval" is recompiled every time it is executed, whereas the block form is only compiled once. Also, the string form doesn't give compile-time warnings. eval "print $foo"; # not ok eval {print $foo}; # ok CONFIGURATION
There is an "allow_includes" boolean option for this Policy. If set, then strings that look like they only include a single "use" or "require" statement (with the possible following statement that consists of a single number) are allowed. With this option set, the following are flagged as indicated: eval 'use Foo'; # ok eval 'require Foo'; # ok eval "use $thingy;"; # ok eval "require $thingy;"; # ok eval "use $thingy; 1;"; # ok eval "require $thingy; 1;"; # ok eval 'use Foo; blah;'; # still not ok eval 'require Foo; 2; 1;'; # still not ok eval 'use $thingy;'; # still not ok eval 'no Foo'; # still not ok If you don't understand why the number is allowed, see Perl::Critic::Policy::ErrorHandling::RequireCheckingReturnValueOfEval. This option inspired by Ricardo SIGNES' Perl::Critic::Policy::Lax::ProhibitStringyEval::ExceptForRequire. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockGrep Perl::Critic::Policy::ControlStrucutres::RequireBlockMap AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitStringyEval(3pm)