Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script that waits until a call is done Post 302346547 by KenJackson on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 10:29:46 PM
Old 08-22-2009
Are you using Linux? If so, you can install the inotify-tools package (project page). Then call inotifywait with appropriate switches and the file or directory name. It sleeps until there is a file event and then wakes up.

That's much better than polling.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ftp waits for longer time to reply

If i fire followin command on unix (linux/solaris) and windows ftp serverX where serverX is not in the network, it takes more time to get reply on unix(3-4 mins) rather windows(1 min), can anybody tell me why this happens? and how to reduce this time span? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amolwar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script executes program, but waits for a prompt

Sorry, newbie here. I have the following shell script which basically executes the sh-n-body.i686 program a specified number of times. However, before the sh-n-body.i686 begins its calculations it prompts for input from the user. In this case the user would have press ". return" and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lionatucla
7 Replies

3. Programming

Runtime.getSystem.exec() function waits for child

Runtime.getSystem.exec() waits for child process to complete .. I do not want to wait for the child process to complete ..what is the option which has to be used ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run script? call other script? su to another user? make a cron?

Good morning. I am searching for "how-to"'s for some particular questions: 1. How to write a script in HP-UX 11. 2. How to schedule a script. 3. How to "call" scripts from the original script. 4. How to su to another user from within a script. This is the basics of what the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: instant000
15 Replies

5. AIX

AIX CPU waits

Guys, I have a question - when nmon reports a sizeable %CPU wait, does that mean - 1) IO operations are slowing CPU down, OR 2) paging slowing the CPU down, OR 3) one cant tell?? I thought the nmon documentation clearly suggested that CPU waits reported in nmon were from disk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: getback0
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to call a menu script and redirect each option to a text file

Hello, I want to design a script that will call an existing menu script and select options one by one and redirict the out put to a file. For example;- In the script MENU.sh there are 10 options i want to design a script MENU2.sh that will select option 2 3 4 6 7 10 and redirict the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spradha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a Perl script within a bash script and store the ouput in a .txt file

I'm attempting to write a bash script that will create a network between virtual machines. It accepts three arguments: an RSpec that describes the network topology, and two list of machines (servers and clients). I have a (working) Perl script that I want to call. This Perl script takes an RSpec... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecaka
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that waits for process to complete

Hello, I am in need of running an executable provided by a vendor that basically syncs files to a db. This tool can only be run against one folder at a time and it cannot have more than one instance running at a time. However, I need to run this tool against multiple folders. Each run of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipertech
5 Replies

10. SuSE

Tcp waits

Hi Guys I am running an Oracle database and most of my sessions are waiting for tcp. Now, how do I check if tcp from the O/S level is servicing requests properly? Please Help!!! Thanks in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
4 Replies
INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					       INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)

NAME
inotify_rm_watch - remove an existing watch from an inotify instance SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/inotify.h> int inotify_rm_watch(int fd, int wd); DESCRIPTION
inotify_rm_watch() removes the watch associated with the watch descriptor wd from the inotify instance associated with the file descriptor fd. Removing a watch causes an IN_IGNORED event to be generated for this watch descriptor. (See inotify(7).) RETURN VALUE
On success, inotify_rm_watch() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the cause of the error. ERRORS
EBADF fd is not a valid file descriptor. EINVAL The watch descriptor wd is not valid; or fd is not an inotify file descriptor. VERSIONS
Inotify was merged into the 2.6.13 Linux kernel. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. SEE ALSO
inotify_add_watch(2), inotify_init(2), inotify(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 INOTIFY_RM_WATCH(2)