Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat create /var lvm during install Post 302346492 by mark54g on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 11:20:59 AM
Old 08-22-2009
however, if you are doing a text based install, this will not occur. You either need to do a GUI based install or do it via kickstart, it must be part of the config.

Normally, you place more volumes in LVM, except for /boot, so that you can do what you had mentioned for almost all the disks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/sadm/install

Hi, can I delete the file install in /var/sadm directory because I do not need. Regard TDS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tinfoul
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is there a tutorial on how to create RAID 1 on top of lvm?

Hi, there are tons of RAID1 tutorials, but none of them deal with lvm. The problem is that I want to expand my current lvm partition over RAID1 rather than creating a new lvm partition after RAID1 is created. My master harddrive has lvm partition. I'm wondering how to create a RAID1 image of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Lost /var/sadm/install/contents file and /var/sadm/pkg

Hello, I recently found that my /var/sadm/install/contents, ~/admin/default, /var/spool/patch and /var/spool/pkg files were empty. This broke the pkginfo, pkgchk and other package related tools. The pkgmap no longer points to where the applications have been installed. I have replaced the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronin42
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Install with /var in separate partition - Zfs / 10

This is my first time working with ZFS on Solaris 10. I am trying to set up /var in a separate partition from /. During the installation, I came across the ZFS settings where I selected disks 0 and 1 to be mirrored with ZFS. Next was the option to have /var and / on separate datasets. Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 6L71
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Create volume using LVM over 2 physical disks

I wanted to know how we can combine volumes over 2 physical drives. # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 42.9 GB, 42949672960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5221 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikn3
16 Replies

7. Linux

Create LVM of 2 Hard Drives while installing Centos 6.4.

Hello, I have install 2 HDD in my server and now installing the Centos6.4. I want create the LVM of those 2 HDD's so while i'm doing this it is not allowing me to select these 2 disk's from allowable disk list. Same problem if i tried to make Software RAID with creating LVM. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tee multiple streams to create a var

Greetings, It seems obvious to me that I am missing something here. I have the following: cfDU () { clear printf "Calculating Sizes of Data In:" while ; do awk -v C=$(tput cup 1 0) -v B=$(tput el) '{split($2,a,"/") print C B a}' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reid
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create LVM snapshots?

Please suggest me how do I create LVM snapshots in linux. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using parted command to create LVM partitions

Oracle Linux 6.6 To create Physical Volumes for Volume groups (LVM) , the disk need to be partitioned to LVM type ie. 'Linux LVM' type . In fdisk , this can done by choosing 8e when prompted for partition type. Since it is easy to script (non-interactive), I use parted command rather than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John K
1 Replies
VGSCAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 VGSCAN(8)

NAME
vgscan - scan all disks for volume groups and rebuild caches SYNOPSIS
vgscan [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--mknodes] [-P|--partial] [-v|--verbose] DESCRIPTION
vgscan scans all SCSI, (E)IDE disks, multiple devices and a bunch of other disk devices in the system looking for LVM physical volumes and volume groups. Define a filter in lvm.conf(5) to restrict the scan to avoid a CD ROM, for example. In LVM2, vgscans take place automatically; but you might still need to run one explicitly after changing hardware. OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. --mknodes Also checks the LVM special files in /dev that are needed for active logical volumes and creates any missing ones and removes unused ones. --cache Scan devices for LVM physical volumes and volume groups and instruct the lvmetad daemon to update its cached state accordingly. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.105(2)-RHEL7 (2014-03-26) VGSCAN(8)