Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Unix which can easily boot from a DVD Post 302346472 by Rich147 on Saturday 22nd of August 2009 07:24:09 AM
Old 08-22-2009
Cheers for all the help, I went for Ubuntu and have got it all up and running on a live CD.

Now where do I need to go now to start practising some code?
Is it something similar to a command prompt? Or is it different in Unix?

---------- Post updated at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:22 AM ----------

ah I'm guessing it's terminal?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot boot - Boot : Panic : File size out of range (EWS-UX/V unix)

Hey ! I am running EWS-UX/V (Rel 4.2) on NEC EWS/4800/330 station and I am having problems rebooting my station : I am getting the following message on display : BOOT : PANIC : File size out of range. According to user guide, this error is occuring when a file exceeding the limit and/or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change password script in Unix easily..

I have more than 50 server unix's password need to change, usually I assign one password for all hosts, for easy remember, but I need to change password every two months..it's very tried to change password every 2 months, is there any unix script that can change password easily? ie ' script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zp523444
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Boot options - DVD drive read error

I was wondering if there was a way to boot from openboot from the dvd drive. I was thinking about imaging the dvd to a blank drive and going about it that way. I just need to do a flash install. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Ultra 5 will not boot from DVD ROM :(

Hi, I just got a new Ultra 5 and replaced the CD-ROM with an LG DVD-ROM (approved and listed in Sun HCL). Got the DVD-ROM installed to install Solaris 10. Im just learning and new to Solaris installation. When I insert a Solaris 10 DVD I see that it gets mounted and File Manager opens and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greypilgrim
8 Replies

5. Solaris

DVD Solaris System Not able to Mount and Boot

Hi, I have a .ISO file of Solaris system burned into a DVD+ROM, and I encounter the following problems, I am using Sun V440 server, (1) Not able to detect the DVD contents under /cdrom. (2) After reboot with this bootable DVD, I get the following errors, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Can't boot from burned Sol 10 x86 DVD

Hi all- I am trying to boot from a Solaris 10 DVD which I burned from the ISO I d/l from Sun(Oracle). I checked the byte counts of the image on Sun's website and my system and they are the same. I and using cdrecord from Schilly and burning the DVD like so: cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -dao... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Fedora 16 (i686) DVD boot issue in x86 (32bit)

Hi, I'm using fedora for 5 years. recently i decided to install new version (16). after i reboot the computer and want to boot from dvd nothing happen's and system boot's from hard disk (i have setup the bios to directly boot from dvd-rom and my dvd-rom is ok). i have downloaded (again) fc16 dvd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ba$h
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Boot Solaris 10 U1 for x86 from DVD

Is it possible to boot an existing Solaris 10 update 1 from boot dvd that I run on p3(1 ghz -512 mb ram). I have got a dual boot sys - the other os is win xp that I need to reinstall but that removes the mbr so, is there any way to recover mbr after the installation of xp? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
DKOPP(1)							  Dkopp man page							  DKOPP(1)

NAME
Dkopp - copy files to DVD or BD (Blue-ray) media SYNOPSIS
dkopp [ -job | -run ] jobfile dkopp [ -nogui ] -script scriptfile DESCRIPTION
Dkopp copies files to backup DVD or BD media. It supports full or incremental backups and full or incremental media verification. OVERVIEW
Dkopp is a menu-driven GUI (GTK) program operating in its own window. Dkopp copies files and directories specified in a job file to DVD or BD media. Dkopp can copy all files to empty media (full copy), or only new and modified files to previously used media (incremental). Files and directories to include or exclude can be selected from the file system hierarchy using a GUI navigator. Specifications are saved in a job file which can be re-edited and re-used. Script files can be run in batch mode using the -nogui option. Dkopp can be used to select and restore files previously copied, and owner and permission data is also restored. The DVD/BD media can also be accessed with file system tools like Nautilus. Dkopp supports the following functionalities: - Three backup modes: full, incremental, accumulate. - Three media verification modes: full, incremental, thorough. - Use write-once or re-writable DVD or BD media (but not CD). - Report disk:backup differences in detail or summary form. - Select and restore files from a backup copy (or use drag and drop). - Search log files to find media where specified files are saved. OPTIONS
Command line options: [ -job ] jobfile open job file for editing -run jobfile execute a job file [ -nogui ] -script scriptfile execute a script file SEE ALSO
The online user manual is available using the menu Help > contents. This manual explains Dkopp operation in great detail. Dkopp uses the batch programs grwoisofs and genisoimage. Dkopp is essentially a GUI front-end for these programs. AUTHORS
Written by Mike Cornelison <kornelix2@googlemail.com> Linux 2010-10-01 DKOPP(1)