Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Date Formatting, etc.
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Date Formatting, etc. Post 302346414 by patricksprague on Friday 21st of August 2009 10:36:14 PM
Old 08-21-2009
Date Formatting, etc.

Hi -

I'm using GeekTool to customize my desktop in OS X 10.5.8

I'm a complete novice as far as UNIX commands, just know enough to be dangerous.

I have a command entered as a Shell to display my events from iCal:

Quote:
/usr/local/bin/icalBuddy eventsToday+3 | sed -e "s/*//" | sed -e "s/!/!!/"
This makes my events show something like this:

Quote:
Event Name (Calendar Name)
2009-08-24 at 24:00 - 24:00
While this is awesome, I'd like to customize it. For one, I'd like the date to be formatted as this:

Quote:
like I can do with this command:

Quote:
date '+%a %m%.%d%.%y'
and the time to be in 12 hour format

But I cannot seem to figure out how to make the iCal events date show correctly.

Help?!?!? SmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting date

i need date in the following format December 14, 2005. With date +"%b %d, %Y" command i am getting the following output :- Dec 14, 2005. can anyone pls tell me how to get the full month name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date formatting

Date format MM/DD/YYYY required is YYYYMMDD, I tried using sed but could not get it any help please. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date formatting

Running bash how do I input the date in the command line like 3/20/90 and get an output formmated like March, 20 1990. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: knc9233
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting date in ksh

hi all, in ksh, how do i format date so it includes hour and minute ?? i am trying the following command : date +%Om/%Od/%Oy%OH:%M but it displays the hour and minute concatenated with the day/month/year e.g 12/10/0814:08 when i want the output to be 12/10/08 14:08 i tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

date formatting

Hi i need to have the date in the format like dd-mon-yyyy my script goes like this #!/usr/bin/bash for f in /space/can /home/lbs/current/externalcdrbackup/L_CDR_Configuration/1/200903122* ; do awk '{sum++;}END{for(i in sum) {print d,h,m,i, sum}}' "d=$(date +'%m-%d-%Y')" "h=$(date +'%H')"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a date

Hi, the date value retrieved by a parameter from the table is of the format dd/mm/yyyy. please let me know how to convert this to YYYYMMDD using sed thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting date

Hi all Y=`date +'%Y'` M=`date +'%m'` D=`date +'%d'` if && ;then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 30` echo $yesterday else if && ; then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 29` echo $yesterday else if ; then yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D + 27` echo $yesterday else yesterday=$Y$M`expr $D - 1` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
8 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

DATE TIME formatting

can anyone one help me....to make date and time format...to following format for my file Code: DATE TIME DD- MON- YEAR 24 Hours I have a need of format like this 12-Jan-2012 in one column, then time in 24 Hours in another column....please help...me... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Date Formatting help

Hi, How can i store the date + time from the output of the ls command in loop in a variable date1? -rw-rw---- 1 user1 admin 500002 Jan 2 21:24 P002607.cssI then want to convert Jan 2 21:24 to this date format 2014-01-02 21:24:00 and save it in date2 variable. Then i would like to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in formatting the date taken from a variable

Hi, I am having the below data in input file. The file contains multiple such lines. The file is comma delimited. AAA,M,CCCCCC,EE,DD,FF,GG,1187.00000,01-MAY-05 BBB,M,CCCCCC,EE,DD,FF,GG,87.00000,10-MAY-05 I need to create below output file out of it- <tag1>AAA</tag1>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arjun_CV
3 Replies
libgnome-desktop-2(3)						C Library Functions					     libgnome-desktop-2(3)

NAME
libgnome-desktop-2 - experimental GNOME interfaces DESCRIPTION
libgnome-desktop is a collection of volatile interfaces that are in the process of migrating to more stable GNOME libraries. Use these interfaces at your own risk, according to the API documentation. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/lib/libgnome-desktop-2.so FreeDesktop vector graphics library /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/gnome-desktop Location of developer documentation ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-panel | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-panel(1), libpanel-applet-2(3), libwnck-1(3), attributes(5), gnome-interfaces(5) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2006. SunOS 5.11 31 Aug 2004 libgnome-desktop-2(3)