Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris /usr/bin has been changed with 777 permission Post 302346347 by jlliagre on Friday 21st of August 2009 03:25:18 PM
Old 08-21-2009
You don't need to find a web page to get that database, it is already available locally with the OS.

You can run pkgchk on the affected packages to see what is wrong. Alternatively, you can simply process the /var/sadm/install/contents file with a custom script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Hi All, Can somebody tell me the difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ? Thanx in advance, Saneesh Joseph (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
3 Replies

3. Solaris

chmod -R 777 in /usr Solaris 9 = Major Screwup

Hello Everyone: One of our admins here accidently ran chmod -R 777 in the /usr folder on a V440 running Solaris 9. After that no one could run any command and could not login. I fixed most of the things by re-restricting some rights and applying the correct rights. Now there is a problem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muntaser_zaheer
3 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I link ld in /usr/ucb/ to /usr/ccs/bin?

Hi all, below is the problem details: ora10g@CNORACLE1>which ld /usr/ucb/ld ora10g@CNORACLE1>cd /usr/ccs/bin ora10g@CNORACLE1>ln -s /usr/ucb/ld ld ln: cannot create ld: File exists ora10g@CNORACLE1> how to link it to /usr/ccs/bin? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias /usr/bin to /bin in profile

Hi! All the basic linux commands, ie. echo, find, etc, are located in /bin. I have a couple of programs that have these commands pointed towards /usr/bin, ie, /usr/bin/echo (even though the actual 'echo' command is in /bin). How can I alias or redirect or link the /usr/bin to /bin just for this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dancerat
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

I accidentally changed to only write permission on /usr/bin... please Help!

I accidentally changed to sudo chmod a=w to my /usr/bin folder on my macbook with OS 10.5.8... Please help! I can't even get into a terminal correctly cause it displays: -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found -bash: uname: command not found -bash: cut: command not found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scaryMac23
6 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

8. Solaris

What is the difference between xpg4/bin and usr/bin?

Hi Experts, I found that the same commands(sort, du, df, find, grep etc.) exists in both dir. What is the difference to use them? i.e: to use xpg4/bin/grep and usr/bin/grep My OS version is SunOS 5.10 Regards, Saps (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
7 Replies

9. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
contents(4)							   File Formats 						       contents(4)

NAME
contents - list of files and associated packages SYNOPSIS
/var/sadm/install/contents DESCRIPTION
The file /var/sadm/install/contents is a source of information about the packages installed on the system. This file must never be edited directly. Always use the package and patch commands (see SEE ALSO) to make changes to the contents file. Each entry in the contents file is a single line. Fields in each entry are separated by a single space character. Two major styles of entries exist, old style and new style. The following is the format of an old-style entry: ftype class path package(s) The following is the general format of a new-style entry: path[=rpath] ftype class [ftype-optional-fields] package(s) New-style entries differ for each ftype. The ftype designates the entry type, as specified in pkgmap(4). The format for new-style entries, for each ftype, is as follows: ftype s: path=rpath s class package ftype l: path l class package ftype d: path d class mode owner group package(s) ftype b: path b class major minor mode owner group package ftype c: path c class major minor mode owner group package ftype f: path f class mode owner group size cksum modtime package ftype x: path x class mode owner group package ftype v: path v class mode owner group size cksum modtime package ftype e: path e class mode owner group size cksum modtime package A significant distinction between old- and new-style entries is that the former do not begin with a slash (/) character, while the latter (new-style) always do. For example, the following are new-style entries: d none /dev SUNWcsd e passwd /etc/passwd SUNWcsr The following are new-style entries: /dev d none 0755 root sys SUNWcsr SUNWcsd /etc/passwd e passwd 0644 root sys 580 48299 1077177419 SUNWcsr The following are the descriptions of the fields in both old- and new-style entries. path The absolute path of the node being described. For ftype s (indicating a symbolic link) this is the indirect pointer (link) name. rpath The relative path to the real file or linked-to directory name. ftype A one-character field that indicates the entry type (see pkgmap(4)). class The installation class to which the file belongs (see pkgmap(4)). package The package associated with this entry. For ftype d (directory) more than one package can be present. mode The octal mode of the file (see pkgmap(4)). owner The owner of the file (see pkgmap(4)). group The group to which the file belongs (see pkgmap(4)). major The major device number (see pkgmap(4)). minor The minor device number (see pkgmap(4)). size The actual size of the file in bytes as reported by sum (see pkgmap(4)). cksum The checksum of the file contents (see pkgmap(4)). modtime The time of last modification (see pkgmap(4)). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
patchadd(1M), pkgadd(1M), pkgadm(1M), pkgchk(1M), pkgmap(4), attributes(5) NOTES
As shown above, the interface stability of /var/sadm/install/contents is Unstable (see attributes(5)). It is common practice to use this file in a read-only manner to determine which files belong to which packages installed on a system. While this file has been present for many releases of the Solaris operating system, it might not be present in future releases. The fully supported way to obtain information from the installed package database is through pkgchk(1M). It is highly recommended that you use pkgchk rather than relying on the contents file. SunOS 5.10 29 Jun 2004 contents(4)