Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How often should I monitor the CPU and memory usage ? Post 302346294 by qiulang on Friday 21st of August 2009 12:04:43 PM
Old 08-21-2009
sampling rate

Thanks for the reply. And my system is indeed AIX (Power server). How did you know that ? COOL!!

I am not sure exactly why my customer want to monitor the cpu/memory usage. Maybe they want their system to be "stable" because the requirement says when cpu usage is above X% or memory usage is above Y% I should reject the further request. ( Y is actually 70!! Nice guess again Smilie)

Or maybe they want to monitor to get a general sense of what the system is doing.

To me I just need to figure 2 things out,

1. For how long when system is running above these thresholds I can say the system is indeed overloaded.
  2. What is the appropriate sampling rate ?
Any further suggestion ?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What to monitor for memory usage?

hi guys I am having a doubt about memory monitoring on linux system what I should be monitoring? memory usage? o swap usage? I am using some monitoring tools but I am confused to what monitor for alerting for example this case looks the memory usage is very high and it's like that all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

8. AIX

Monitor Physical CPU usage on multiple servers

Hello, Looking for some help. I am trying to gather data at each server showing when the physical CPU is being used the most based on a weekly timeframe. I know this data can be seen through NMON but with multiple servers in our environment it could take a real long time. is there a easier... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audis$
4 Replies

9. AIX

Script to monitor CPU , Memory

Hello. I am using AIX 6 and did lot of searches on google for this script and found so many results. Just thought to ask you being the real good place for centralised answer: a) Could you tell me the aix script, which may tell me If the CPU load is above e.g. 60% ? b) Could you tell me the AIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to monitor cpu usage vmstat in Redhat Linux .

Hi , Please some one help me How to write a shell script to monitor cpu usage vmstat in Redhat linux . Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saanvi
4 Replies
SC_USAGE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       SC_USAGE(1)

NAME
sc_usage -- show system call usage statistics SYNOPSIS
sc_usage [-c codefile] [-e] [-l] [-s interval] pid | cmd | -E execute DESCRIPTION
sc_usage displays an ongoing sample of system call and page fault usage statistics for a given process in a ``top-like'' fashion. It requires root privileges due to the kernel tracing facility it uses to operate. Page faults can be of the following types: PAGE_IN page had to read from disk ZERO_FILL page was created and zero filled COW page was copied from another page CACHE_HIT page was found in the cache The arguments are as follows: -c When the -c option is specified, it expects a path to a codefile that contains the mappings for the system calls. This option over- rides the default location of the system call codefile which is found in /usr/share/misc/trace.codes. -e Specifying the -e option generates output that is sorted by call count. This overrides the default sort by time. -l The -l option causes sc_usage to turn off its continuous window updating style of output and instead output as a continuous scrolling of data. -s By default, sc_usage updates its output at one second intervals. This sampling interval may be changed by specifying the -s option. Enter the interval in seconds. pid | cmd | -E execute The last argument must be a process id, a running command name, or using the -E option, an execution path followed by optional argu- ments. The system call usage data for the process or command is displayed. If the -E flag is used, sc_usage will launch the exe- cutable, pass along any optional arguments and display system call usage date for that executable. The data columns displayed are as follows: TYPE the system call type NUMBER the system call count CPU_TIME the amount of cpu time consumed WAIT_TIME the absolute time the process is waiting CURRENT_TYPE the current system call type LAST_PATHNAME_WAITED_FOR for each active thread, the last pathname that was referenced by a system call that blocked CUR_WAIT_TIME the cumulative time that a thread has been blocked THRD# the thread number PRI current scheduling priority The sc_usage command also displays some global state in the first few lines of output, including the number of preemptions, context switches, threads, faults and system calls, found during the sampling period. The current time and the elapsed time that the command has been running is also displayed here. The sc_usage command is also SIGWINCH savvy, so adjusting your window geometry may change the list of system calls being displayed. Typing a 'q' will cause sc_usage to exit immediately. Typing any other character will cause sc_usage to reset its counters and the display. SAMPLE USAGE
sc_usage Finder -e -s2 sc_usage will sort the Finder process usage data according to system call count and update the output at 2 second intervals. SEE ALSO
fs_usage(1), latency(1), top(1) Mac OS X October 28, 2002 Mac OS X