Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escape Characters are driving me crazy! Post 302346233 by drl on Friday 21st of August 2009 09:44:16 AM
Old 08-21-2009
Hi.

This page (badly titled) UNIX Shell Quote has a comparison table of basic metacharacters (and the site has a number of other good tutorials). Newer shells (bash, zsh, ksh) have a more extensive syntax, e.g. for dealing with arrays, string manipulation, etc. For those, you will need to look at man pages, which for shells, are often quite long ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix driving me crazy

:( :confused: what is performed by the following unix command: grep -v Jane project1.txt and grep ' 5\..' janet.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tendernisin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape characters..

hey i want to know the unix commands to replace all the character escape sequences with their "C" values in a string... thanks in advance..! Regards, Sharanya (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsin2001
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for escape characters

Hi all I have been trying to write a script to look for a set of specific escape characters in a file. On viewing the file via vi it shows this : ^ I understand this means no end of line. I have tried a vary of grep parameters such as grep ^\^. filename grep --binary-file=binary without... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timcs
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pleas help..this is driving me crazy

Hi, I've created a script in csh that takes a file and checks it for mispelled words. Im almost done but I need to do two more things but I need help. First, when displaying an incorrect word to the user, I need to show the line of the input file that contains the word. Second,if the user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hckygoli31
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL cgi script... extra character driving me crazy

I'm using a PERL cgi script that uses rrdtool to make graphs. I can't get the syntax correct to use a degree sign (alt+0176 like this °) and also using a variable. If I use single quotes, I can't call the variable. If I use double quotes, there is an extra symbol (Â) before the ° which goes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable with @ sign is driving me crazy

Ok so I am working on a command that is going to do a Dig @ a certain IP address which is enclosed in a variable. Now I thought I had this figure out because it works. The problem is that it does not ALWAYS work. the variable is IP=192.168.1.1 the commands I have tried are dig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/Linux/Distributions - driving me crazy...

Hello there, first of all: I do not want to become a hacker. you cannot do that. you cannot learn that from a book. Don't think I'm some kind of a script-kiddie. now that's settled let's start. I've been trying around with a lot of OS lately. I have backtrack5 installed on my notebook,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. Nick
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters

i am executing script from A server which will execute the script in B server , as below. ssh A 'ssh B echo 'select * from testing where name ='test'' i am getting the below output. select * from testing where name=test but i need the output where clause with quotes , tried with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape all special characters?

I have an application which I am integrating with that accepts the password via a CLI. I am running in to issues with passwords that contain special characters. I tried to escape them all, but I ran in to an issue where I cannot escape the characters ' ] My attempt is as follows: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMG1978
2 Replies
LKSH(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LKSH(1)

NAME
lksh -- Legacy Korn shell built on mksh SYNOPSIS
lksh [-+abCefhiklmnprUuvXx] [-+o opt] [-c string | -s | file [args ...]] DESCRIPTION
lksh is a command interpreter intended exclusively for running legacy shell scripts. It is built on mksh; refer to its manual page for details on the scripting language. It is recommended to port scripts to mksh instead of relying on legacy or idiotic POSIX-mandated behav- iour, since the MirBSD Korn Shell scripting language is much more consistent. LEGACY MODE
lksh has the following differences from mksh: o lksh is not suitable for use as /bin/sh. o There is no explicit support for interactive use, nor any command line editing or history code. Hence, lksh is not suitable as a user's login shell, either; use mksh instead. o The KSH_VERSION string identifies lksh as ``LEGACY KSH'' instead of ``MIRBSD KSH''. o lksh only offers the traditional ten file descriptors to scripts. o lksh uses POSIX arithmetics, which has quite a few implications: The data type for arithmetics is the host ISO C long data type. Signed integer wraparound is Undefined Behaviour. The sign of the result of a modulo operation with at least one negative operand is unspeci- fied. Shift operations on negative numbers are unspecified. Division of the largest negative number by -1 is Undefined Behaviour. The compiler is permitted to delete all data and crash the system if Undefined Behaviour occurs. o The rotation arithmetic operators are not available. o The shift arithmetic operators take all bits of the second operand into account; if they exceed permitted precision, the result is unspecified. o The GNU bash extension &> to redirect stdout and stderr in one go is not parsed. o The mksh command line option -T is not available. o Unless set -o posix is active, lksh always uses traditional mode for constructs like: $ set -- $(getopt ab:c "$@") $ echo $? POSIX mandates this to show 0, but traditional mode passes through the errorlevel from the getopt(1) command. o lksh, unlike AT&T UNIX ksh, does not keep file descriptors > 2 private. SEE ALSO
mksh(1) https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm https://www.mirbsd.org/ksh-chan.htm CAVEATS
lksh tries to make a cross between a legacy bourne/posix compatibl-ish shell and a legacy pdksh-alike but ``legacy'' is not exactly speci- fied. The set built-in command does not have all options one would expect from a full-blown mksh or pdksh. Talk to the MirOS development team using the mailing list at <miros-mksh@mirbsd.org> or the #!/bin/mksh (or #ksh) IRC channel at irc.freenode.net (Port 6697 SSL, 6667 unencrypted) if you need any further quirks or assistance, and consider migrating your legacy scripts to work with mksh instead of requiring lksh. MirBSD May 2, 2013 MirBSD