Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Piping results of 'ls' to 'find' using 'xargs' Post 302346138 by jlliagre on Friday 21st of August 2009 06:02:35 AM
Old 08-21-2009
Try this:
Code:
ls -d1 dir* | xargs -I {} find {} -type f | wc -l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String substitution on find results inside exec/xargs

What I'm trying to do is perform a copy, well a ditto actually, on the results of a find command, but some inline string substitution needs to happen. So if I run this code find ./ -name "*.tif" I get back these results. .//1234567.tif .//abcdefg.tif Now the action from exec or xargs I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: myndcraft
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of xargs and prune piping with find command.

Can anyone interpret and tell me the way the below command works? find * -name "*${msgType}" -mtime +${archiveDays} -prune -type f -print 2>/dev/null | xargs rm -f 2> /dev/null Please tell me the usage of prune and xargs in the above command? Looking forward your reply. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find | xargs cat

Hi, I am having trouble getting a combination of commands to work. I need to traverse through all sub-directories of a certain directory and 'cat' the contents of a particular file in the sub-directories. The commands on their own work but when I combine them I get no output. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DownunderDave
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XARGS and FIND together

I am trying to delete files older than 60 days from a folder: find /myfolder/*.dat -mtime +60 -exec rm {} \; ERROR - argument list too long: find I can't just give the folder name, as there are some files that I don't want to delete. So i need to give with the pattern (*.dat). I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and xargs

hi, i've been trying to figure this weird error but I cannot seem to know why. I am using below find command: find . \( ! -name . -prune \) -type f -mtime +365 -print The above code returns no file because no files are really more then 365 days old. However, when I use xargs, its... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping problem with xargs

I'm trying to pipe the output from a command into another using xargs but is not getting what I want. Running this commands: find . -name '33_cr*.rod' | xargs -n1 -t -i cut -f5 {} | sort -k1.3n | uniq | wc -l give the following output: cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod cut -f5 ./33_cr22.rod ... 9224236... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs + Find Help

Guys i want to run a command to list all directories that havn't been modified in over 548 days ( 1.5 yrs ). Id like to run a script to first print what the command finds ( so i get a list of the files pre move ... i have a script set for this : find /Path/Of\ Target/Directory/ -type d -mtime... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: modulartention
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find/xargs/*grep: find multi-line empty "try-catch" blocks - eg, missing ; not in a commented block

How can I recursively find all files in a directory and print out the file and first line number of any text blocks that match the below cases? This would seem to involve find, xargs, *grep, regex, etc. In summary, I want to find so-called empty "try-catch blocks" that do not contain code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifechamp
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Piping commands using xargs

Need help in piping commands using xargs I have several .tar.gz files that I need to list the folder content in a subdirectory. For example, a.tar.gz b.tar.gz c.tar.gz The following command works great for each .tar.gz file but it's a pain to run the tar command for each file. tar -tf... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
11 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)