Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help me! how to solve this question? Post 302346075 by sbcvn on Friday 21st of August 2009 02:19:56 AM
Old 08-21-2009
help me! how to solve this question?

Find the first alphabetic letter from the input:
Accept a group of upper case alphabetic letters one at a time, ended with a 0, and find and display the first letter in alphabetic order. For example, input of D, G, T, S, V, G, C, K, P should result in C.
Any invalid input character (eg. #, $, 3, a, etc.) should cause an error message and be ignored.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve this

I have to write an script for.. CUST: 123 trans: some contents CUST: 1234 trans: some contents Now wat i have to do is this: CUST:123 akash trans: some contents CUST:1234 akash1 trans: I have been able to add... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashag22
3 Replies

2. Programming

does any one know how to solve?

Hello experts, Here is my code.I can create the database.But I also want it to see standard output.Please see the blocked code.If i use them they show me weired symbols. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> struct date { int month; int day; int year; }; struct empRec{... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can somebody solve this

I have to find the files older than 200 days from a path and copy them to some other directory with the current date stamp attached to it. i have written like follows: #!/bin/ksh DSTAMP=$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M") rm $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp touch $CA_OUT_PATH/ftp_logs/temp chmod 777... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenusola
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to solve some question about shell Script

Factorial calculation Example output: Please enter a non-negative number: 3 3! = 3 X 2 X 1 = 6 Please enter a non-negative number: 10 10! = 10 X 9 X 8 X 7 X 6 X 5 X 4 X 3 X 2 X 1 = 3628800 Please enter a non-negative number:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cenco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to solve some question about shell Script

Factorial calculation Example output: Please enter a non-negative number: 3 3! = 3 X 2 X 1 = 6 Please enter a non-negative number: 10 10! = 10 X 9 X 8 X 7 X 6 X 5 X 4 X 3 X 2 X 1 = 3628800 Please enter a non-negative number: -1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cenco
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

help me to solve it thank you

i thought about to use the commands : wc and sort and mybe more .. i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a separate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairpg
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

please help me to solve it

i thought about to use the commands : wc and sort cut and mybe more .. i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yairpg
0 Replies
LOOK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LOOK(1)

NAME
look -- display lines beginning with a given string SYNOPSIS
look [-df] [-t termchar] string [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The look utility displays any lines in file which contain string as a prefix. As look performs a binary search, the lines in file must be sorted. If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used, only alphanumeric characters are compared and the case of alphabetic char- acters is ignored. Options: -d Dictionary character set and order, i.e. only alphanumeric characters are compared. -f Ignore the case of alphabetic characters. -t Specify a string termination character, i.e. only the characters in string up to and including the first occurrence of termchar are compared. The look utility exits 0 if one or more lines were found and displayed, 1 if no lines were found, and >1 if an error occurred. FILES
/usr/share/dict/words the dictionary SEE ALSO
grep(1), sort(1) COMPATIBILITY
The original manual page stated that tabs and blank characters participated in comparisons when the -d option was specified. This was incor- rect and the current man page matches the historic implementation. HISTORY
A look utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 14, 1993 BSD