Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with diff command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with diff command Post 302345866 by mahesh_raghu on Thursday 20th of August 2009 11:45:23 AM
Old 08-20-2009
Problem with diff command

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie to Unix. I was going through the diff command with example
like this,

[mraghunandanan@localhost ~]$ cat 1
[mraghunandanan@localhost ~]$ cat 2

My output is like this:

[mraghunandanan@localhost ~]$ diff 1 2
2,3d1
< 2
< 4
4a3,4
> 3
> 2
6d5
< 9

I am not able to understand the output, like what is the use of d,a,c and < and > symbols in this output.Can anyone explain the output. It would be of great help.

Regards,

Mahesh Raghunandanan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff command problem

Folks, I am Diff'ing 2 identical files..and the result is, it shows all the lines from 2 files (saying nothing is being matched). If I copy the content from 1 of the file and paste in a newly created file and then do the diff, it equals. 2 files are xml files. I've tried many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using diff

Hi, When i use diff command, i get the output like this 2c2 < Table Name: AAA Row Count:96 SUM(F1): 3739 MAX(F1):77 MIN(F1): 0 AVG(F1): 38.9479167 LENGTH(LINE): 2260 --- > Table Name: AAA Row Count:96 SUM(F1): 4009 MAX(F1):77 MIN(F1): 0 AVG(F1): 40.9479167 LENGTH(LINE): 2260 4a5,10 >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff command

All, How to exclude a directory while diff execution? For ex: To exclude file which we don't want to see diff, we have -x <filename>. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vichu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff command help

Hi all diff file1 file 2 command will give us op of diff between two file. But it aslo give its position and sign "<" or ">". I dont want position and sign in op. Only diff of content should be come as op. Kindly help me for this. Regards Jaydeep (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem using diff command in unix

Hi, I am trying to do a diff between two files using "diff" command.I dont need my output to be printed using extra symbols ">" and "<" as we usually see for the diff command. Even to excude these characters in each line of the output, my diff output has inturn many symbols ">" and "<". ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pharitha
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with diff command

I am trying to do a diff between two files using "diff" command.I dont need my output to be printed using extra symbols ">" and "<" as we usually see for the diff command. Even to excude these characters in each line of the output, my diff output has inturn many symbols ">" and "<". Please help.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharitha
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not sure how to use diff and comm for my problem

Hello, Apologies if this question has been repeated before, but I am getting myself confused even more as I scan the posts! I have two files, file1 is a column: 1dlwa_ 1s69a_ 1idra_ 1ngka_ And file2 has three columns (columns seperated by tabs): 1dlw a_ A 1uvy a_ A 1dly a_ A 1uvx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Diff command...

Hi All, I havae 2 files like this File1.dat.tar.gz--- has +667866066123|20110506 +667866066866|20110405 File2.dat.tar.gz -----contains +447866066123|20110505 +447866066866|20110405 If I give Gzcat File1.dat.tar.gz | cut –d “|” –f 1 > out1.dat Gzcat File2.dat.tar.gz| cut –d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff problem

Hi, I need to get only different rows from comparing two files , i donot need the place of row or any other error comments , just my data , Can anyone help me please? example: $Diff -b reham.txt reham1.txt 7a8(DON'T NEED IT) > hany 4/4/1989 $100,000 \ No newline at end... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reham.Donia
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with diff

I am using the diff command, but i cant figure out why it is displaying these strange numbers and letters diff spellExample spellExample.bak 1c1 < I went to a garden party --- > I went to a gadren party 3c3 < bunch of my old friends did something --- > bnuch of my old freinds did... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: football12345
2 Replies
CUT-DIFF(1)							  Cutter's manual						       CUT-DIFF(1)

NAME
cut-diff - show difference between 2 files with color SYNOPSIS
cut-diff [option ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
cut-diff is a diff command that uses diff feature in Cutter. It shows difference with color. It's recommended that you use a normal diff(1) when you want to use with patch(1) or you don't need color. OPTIONS
--version cut-diff shows its own version and exits. -c [yes|true|no|false|auto], --color=[yes|true|no|false|auto] If 'yes' or 'true' is specified, cut-diff uses colorized output by escape sequence. If 'no' or 'false' is specified, cut-diff never use colorized output. If 'auto' or the option is omitted, cut-diff uses colorized output if available. The default is auto. -u, --unified cut-diff uses unified diff format. --context-lines=LINES Shows diff context around LINES. All lines are shown by default. When unified diff format is used, 3 lines are shown by default. --label=LABEL, -L=LABEL Uses LABEL as a header label. The first--label option value is used as file1's label and the second --label option value is used asfile2's label. Labels are the same as file names by default. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 for success, non-0 otherwise. TODO: 0 for non-difference, 1 for difference and non-0 for errors. EXAMPLE
In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2: % cut-diff file1 file2 In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2 with unified diff format: % cut-diff -u file1 file2 SEE ALSO
diff(1) Cutter February 2011 CUT-DIFF(1)