Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: talk command to chat
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting talk command to chat Post 302345852 by miltonkeynesguy on Thursday 20th of August 2009 11:09:48 AM
Old 08-20-2009
talk command to chat

Hi,

Could you please advice on the following query:

There are 2 users on a unix box:
1. aaaa
2. bbbb

I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users.
Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb.

talk bbbb
or
talk bbbb@hostname

Result: the screen goes blank?

Any ideas, please?

Regards,
Girish.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

talk command to chat

Hi, Could you please advice on the following query: There are 2 users on a unix box: 1. aaaa 2. bbbb I open 2 putty sessions and login with the above 2 users. Then I type the following using the aaaa user to chat with bbbb. talk bbbb or talk bbbb@hostname Result: the screen goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with using talk command

using talk option i tried to send message to my team mate. for connecting to one unix box, we are having a common userid and password except that, the ip addresses will change for me it is x.x.x.4, for my colleague it is x.x.x.3 These are the steps i did > who <userid> pts/2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

3. Linux

How do I capture responses from the chat command?

Unfortunately googling the word 'chat' gives you zebedee billion responses that relate to everything and few of them refer to the linux chat command. I've read the man page and found a couple of examples but can't see how to do this. I want to query the modem for it's manufacturer, product id... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

4. Web Development

Can you embed Skype or any other video chat/chat program into a webpage?

Hi, I am trying to embed Skype or any other video chat/chat program into a webpage. Has anyone had success doing this? or know how? Thanks Phil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Very Funny and Somewhat Amazing 2006 Chat Bot Chat

Working on the badging system, Just found this old thread for 2006 and started reading it. ROTFL ... what a great discussion between forum members and our chat bot Gollum "back in the good old days"... You must check this out if you want a laugh and big smile: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
DCOP(1) 																   DCOP(1)

NAME
dcop - Console DCOP client SYNOPSIS
dcop [--pipe] [--user user] [--all-users] [--session session] [--all-sessions] [--list-sessions] [--no-user-time] [application [object [function [arguments]]]] DESCRIPTION
Console DCOP client OPTIONS
--pipe Call DCOP for each line read from stdin. This is roughly equivalent to calling while read line ; do dcop $line ; done but because no new dcop instance has to be started for each line this is generally much faster, especially for the slower GNU dynamic linkers. --user user Connect to the given user's DCOP server. This option will ignore the values of the environment vars $DCOPSERVER and $ICEAUTHORITY, even if they are set. If the user has more than one open session, you must also use one of the --list-sessions, --session or --all-sessions command-line options. --all-users Send the same DCOP call to all users with a running DCOP server. Only failed calls to existing DCOP servers will generate an error message. If no DCOP server is available at all, no error will be generated. --session session Send to the given KDE session. This option can only be used in combination with the --user option. --all-sessions Send to all sessions found. Only works with the --user and --all-users options. --list-sessions List all active KDE sessions for a user or all users. --no-user-time Don't update the user activity timestamp in the called application (for use in scripts running in the background). ENVIRONMENT
DCOPSERVER ICEAUTHORITY SEE ALSO
dcopclient(1) dcopref(1) dcopfind(1) kdcop(1) Inside KDE, you can enter help:/kdcop in Konqueror to see the User Manual for kdcop graphical dcop tool. March 7, 2003 DCOP(1)