Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How often should I monitor the CPU and memory usage ? Post 302345691 by zxmaus on Thursday 20th of August 2009 02:29:31 AM
Old 08-20-2009
Hi,

which OS do you run - I assume it's AIX? And why do you want to do it at all - are you running so low in resources that a simple command execution / a running process will put your system into trouble? Or do you expect your application to be so badly written that it will negatively impact the system for a certain amount of time?

If it's AIX, vmstat or sar or any kind of command collecting once off data will not impact your performance at all, while interactive monitoring tools like topas or nmon will. On unix you should not average anything since the resource usage is 'at a given moment in time' and will change about 1000 times per second anyway - so most of these tools are internal averaging the interval between executions.

Saying this, where would you set your threshold anyway. AIX using vmm and constantly re-nicing its processes, is absolutely capable to run in (and depending hardware/setup/virtualization overrun) its cpu entitlement without any kind of problems - and if you're overutilizing your memory for a short time, and your system is properly tuned, this will not slow down your system either (an AIX box with proper sizing and 'enough' memory uses normally 70-80% memory computational and gives you the headroom of 20% memory for peak times).

Not knowing your system / application at all, I would say 'it depends on how long you expects your threads to run and what they're doing overall' - on a DB box I would monitor the system in 1 - 2 second intervals for using all resources more than 3 intervals - but as stated - when I use virtualization and have a large shared pool where I can get 1000% cpu in case I need it, I just don't have to monitor it at all. And if you have p6 systems and large shared memory pools, too - I would not even do it for memory.

zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Programming

CPU usage and memory usage

Please tell me solaris functions/api for getting following information 1- Function that tells how much memory used by current process 2- Function that tells how much memory used by all running processes 3- Function that tells how much CPU is used by current process 4- Function that tells how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What to monitor for memory usage?

hi guys I am having a doubt about memory monitoring on linux system what I should be monitoring? memory usage? o swap usage? I am using some monitoring tools but I am confused to what monitor for alerting for example this case looks the memory usage is very high and it's like that all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
2 Replies

8. AIX

Monitor Physical CPU usage on multiple servers

Hello, Looking for some help. I am trying to gather data at each server showing when the physical CPU is being used the most based on a weekly timeframe. I know this data can be seen through NMON but with multiple servers in our environment it could take a real long time. is there a easier... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audis$
4 Replies

9. AIX

Script to monitor CPU , Memory

Hello. I am using AIX 6 and did lot of searches on google for this script and found so many results. Just thought to ask you being the real good place for centralised answer: a) Could you tell me the aix script, which may tell me If the CPU load is above e.g. 60% ? b) Could you tell me the AIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me to monitor cpu usage vmstat in Redhat Linux .

Hi , Please some one help me How to write a shell script to monitor cpu usage vmstat in Redhat linux . Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saanvi
4 Replies
WMBUBBLE(1x)															      WMBUBBLE(1x)

NAME
wmbubble - system load monitor SYNOPSIS
wmbubble [options] [program1] [program2] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the wmbubble command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. wmbubble is a dockapp-style CPU, memory, swap and load average monitor. Based on the GNOME BubbleMon applet, this program has been consid- erably improved. The higher the water level, the more memory is in use. The more profuse the bubbles, the higher the CPU usage. There is also a real-time CPU percentage display. When the mouse is moved into the window, the display will change to show the load history, or, if the right shift is held, the current mem- ory usage. If you press the right mouse button, the window will freeze in that state. You can unfreeze the display by pressing the right mouse button again. program1 and program2 are the programs to spawn when either the left or middle mouse button is pressed, respectively. OPTIONS
-d disable swimming duck -u disable upside-down duck -c disable CPU meter -m disable memory screen -p use alternative color scheme in memory info screen -k display memory and swap statistics in megabytes -h display help AUTHOR
wmbubble was written by timecop <timecop@japan.co.jp> This manual page was written by John H. Robinson, IV <jaqque@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 28, 2004 WMBUBBLE(1x)