Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mkdir: copying a folder's permissions Post 302345623 by pcwiz on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 05:57:57 PM
Old 08-19-2009
@avronius,

I could probably use that method and then make a shell script out of it. However, I was wondering if there was an easier way to get the permissions in plain number format rather than using ls and doing the conversion.

@chompy

That works, but unfortunately I don't want to copy the entire directory, just its permissions.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

folder permissions

I work for a big company and all the people within my unit share a common drive to save documents to. I am listed in the group(AMS group) that has access rights to folders within this drive. but i'm trying to restrict access to a confidential folder so that only I can access it. when I set the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shed
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying latest file into a folder

Hello all, this is my first post while i am trying to understand unix. I would basically like to know if i can do this: Lets say i have a folderA and folderB And i save something in folderA Can i make a script that checks folderA latest file, then compares it with the date of latest file in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: takissd
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions issue after copying files

Hi everyone, I am using mac os x 10.6, and I just copied over a project from a machine with 10.5... And I noticed my ls color is very funky in this directory... I found that my permissions are all messed up, and am wondering if there is a way to recursively fix permissions? This is how they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Copying Folder, C program

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Copying all the normal files from 1 folder to another on a unix platform. I pass in 1 or 2 arguments, the folder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MW99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder permissions to delete

I am using the below command to delete files from directories and subdirectories find /test/abc/xyx -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; there are some subfolders in xyx for which i don't have permission to delete. Is there a way i can check the permission of the folder first and then delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Folder permissions

Hi Team, I want to set permissions to one folder in such a way that the user can write files or create folder inside that but should not able to delete it. Basically reason behind this is i am using Pidgin Messenger. There is a directory of logs in which, when user chat its store his logs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for mkdir with permissions

Hello, I'm pretty new to scripting and trying to do a simple (well, I thought so) administrator task. I'm using bash. I want to create 10 directories under the one directory and apply permissions at the same time. I've worked out the make directories part: mkdir /userdata/folder{1..50}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimothy007
7 Replies
MU-MKDIR(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  MU-MKDIR(1)

NAME
mu_mkdir - create a new Maildir SYNOPSIS
mu mkdir [options] <dir> [<dirs>] DESCRIPTION
mu mkdir is the mu sub-command for creating Maildirs. It does not use the mu database. With the mkdir command, you can create new Maildirs with permissions 0755. For example, mu mkdir tom dick harry creates three Maildirs, tom, dick and harry. If creation fails for whatever reason, no attempt is made to remove any parts that were created. This is for safety reasons. OPTIONS
--mode=<mode> set the file access mode for the new maildir(s) as in chmod(1). BUGS
Please report bugs if you find them: http://code.google.com/p/mu0/issues/list AUTHOR
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <djcb@djcbsoftware.nl> SEE ALSO
maildir(5) mu(1) chmod(1) User Manuals May 2011 MU-MKDIR(1)