Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mkdir: copying a folder's permissions Post 302345607 by avronius on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 04:44:30 PM
Old 08-19-2009
Solaris 10:
To copy permissions (and ACLs):
Code:
getfacl /directory > filename

To apply permissions
Code:
setfacl -f filename /new/directory

<edit>
This doesn't change the owner of the directory

To identify ownership and permissions of a directory:
[code]ls -l /path/that/source/directory/is/in | grep directory[code]
Then change the ownership of the new directory:
Code:
chown owner:group /target/directory

The permissions will appear as -rw-rw-rw or -rwx------ or something of that ilk

The first 'digit' will usually be -, but may be 4, 2 or 1 (depending on what has been configured - run a man on chmod for more details)
The next 3 sets of digits are the permissions for owner, group, and others (respectively).

To change the permissions of a directory, you will need to identify who needs
Understanding (r)ead (w)rite or e(x)ecute involves some math:
For:
Code:
Read = 4   Write = 2   Execute = 1
--x = 1
-w- = 2
-wx = 3
r-- = 4
r-x = 5
rw- = 6
rwx = 7

So, to set Read & Write for the OWNER only, you would:
Code:
chmod 600 filename

# ls -l filename
-rwx------   1 root     root           0 Aug 19 14:47 filename

</edit>

Last edited by avronius; 08-19-2009 at 06:00 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

folder permissions

I work for a big company and all the people within my unit share a common drive to save documents to. I am listed in the group(AMS group) that has access rights to folders within this drive. but i'm trying to restrict access to a confidential folder so that only I can access it. when I set the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shed
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying latest file into a folder

Hello all, this is my first post while i am trying to understand unix. I would basically like to know if i can do this: Lets say i have a folderA and folderB And i save something in folderA Can i make a script that checks folderA latest file, then compares it with the date of latest file in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: takissd
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions issue after copying files

Hi everyone, I am using mac os x 10.6, and I just copied over a project from a machine with 10.5... And I noticed my ls color is very funky in this directory... I found that my permissions are all messed up, and am wondering if there is a way to recursively fix permissions? This is how they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Copying Folder, C program

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Copying all the normal files from 1 folder to another on a unix platform. I pass in 1 or 2 arguments, the folder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MW99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder permissions to delete

I am using the below command to delete files from directories and subdirectories find /test/abc/xyx -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; there are some subfolders in xyx for which i don't have permission to delete. Is there a way i can check the permission of the folder first and then delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Folder permissions

Hi Team, I want to set permissions to one folder in such a way that the user can write files or create folder inside that but should not able to delete it. Basically reason behind this is i am using Pidgin Messenger. There is a directory of logs in which, when user chat its store his logs.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for mkdir with permissions

Hello, I'm pretty new to scripting and trying to do a simple (well, I thought so) administrator task. I'm using bash. I want to create 10 directories under the one directory and apply permissions at the same time. I've worked out the make directories part: mkdir /userdata/folder{1..50}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimothy007
7 Replies
rmf(1)							      General Commands Manual							    rmf(1)

NAME
rmf - remove folder (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-help] [-[no]interactive] OPTIONS
Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder. By default, rmf deletes a folder and its messages without asking for confirmation. If you specify the -interactive option, rmf asks if you are sure before deleting the folder. You are advised to use this option, since when rmf deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably. DESCRIPTION
The rmf command removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed. You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument. If you do not specify a folder, and rmf cannot find the current folder,rmf asks you whether you want to delete +inbox instead. If the current folder is removed, it makes +inbox current. Note that the rmf command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution. If the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and rmf tells you that this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. Using rmf to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder itself. If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's Mail directory EXAMPLES
This example shows how rmf asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used: % rmf -interactive +test Remove folder "test"? y FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
rmm(1) rmf(1)