Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script - ftp downloading serveral files without mget Post 302345392 by chipcmc on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 06:29:26 AM
Old 08-19-2009
If this code that you put works for you:
Code:
ftp -n -i -v <<EOF
open proxyHost proxyPort      
user user@ftp_server password

/* now i want to  download all files in the root directory of the ftp but mget * does not work (does nothing... not even throwing an error message) */

bye
EOF

the equivalente in the function is:

Code:
function send_ftp
{
ftp -n -i -v > $2 <<EOF
open proxyHost proxyPort
user user@$HOST password
cd $dir_remote
$1
bye
EOF
}

Quote:
Originally Posted by macProgger23
don't know what $HOST> &2 in the ftp command really does???
&2 is not in my script, my script:
ftp -n -i -v $HOME> $2

HOME is a variable, and when you put $HOME the system change the string $HOME by the value, then :

ftp -n -i -v 10.10.10.10 > $2

here the character > is the redirection of the stdout for the ftp, $2 is the second parameter to call the function
If you look to the calls :
send_ftp "dir" $file_log
in this case $file_log is the second parameter in the call

if you don't wnat to use variables you can put the valors, i wrote the scrpt withc variables because i think is better.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp files inside a shell script

I have a shell script where I am trying to ftp some files but I get the error message "EOF unclosed" every time the script reaches the ftp section. Here is how my script is written. #more code up here rm -f $object >> $LOG_FILE 2>&1 fi #end of if done #end of for loop ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrix1067
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random files do not FTP in the shell script

The following script is used to loop through files in the /tmp directory and transfer those files onto another server. However, some of the files do not transfer. It is very random when the transferring is done (i.e. one of the files won't transfer then next time, that one will transfer and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RLatham20
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Downloading one day old files from FTP site

HI, I'm downloading one day old files from ftp site. Below is my script ---------------------------- printf "open $HOST \n" > ftp.cmd printf "user $USER $PASSWD\n" >> ftp.cmd printf "bin\n" >> ftp.cmd #printf "cd /Models/\n" >> ftp.cmd printf "prompt\n" >> ftp.cmd printf "for oldfile... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_v4
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

No return code in ftp mget script

I have a automated FTP script that gets a file using mget. I am using mget because the date will change on the file frequently. The mget works, however if I incorrectly type the file (e.g. if I want to get /dog123 and I enter /dg*) I do not receive and error code from in the FTP session. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dog123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using FTP mget from Visual Basic Shell

Hi calling a batch file with FTP commands from Visual basing with Shell, it basically to copy files then delete them. The delete seems to work but the copy, it looks like the mget command doesn't have the complete information on where to copy the files. Here is the batch file content. Open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mario120560
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp files from one server to another using shell script

Hi Guys Any Help I have created a spool file that i need to copy onto another server using FTP in a shell script both servers are linux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itai
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to ftp multiple files

Hi, i use the below script to send a single file to remote server from linux. ftp -nvi <<!EOF open $Host_name user $USER_ID $PWD binary mput $file_name quit !EOF (where i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Downloading FTP Files

Hi every one, I have the requirement to download the files from FTP and move those files to unix box. Once after coping the files, i need to remove the files in FTP. I'm a newbie in Unix script. Can you please suggest a script for this.. Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Murali4u
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with get/mget from FTP server with files older than 10 minutes

Hi! I am new to unix and this forum as well.. Can someone please help me : I want to "get/mget" files which are older than 10 minutes from a remote FTP server like "ftp.com". After getting the files to local unix server say "Prod.com" , i need to delete only those files from ftp.com which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SravsJaya
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP mget will only grab files not folders

Hey All, first post :rolleyes: So I am writting a script to pull down files from an ftp that will be called from a bat file on windows. This seems pretty straight forward, and grabs all of the "files" in the cd location, but I am running into some permission issue that will not allow me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpatton
1 Replies
ftp(4)								   File Formats 							    ftp(4)

NAME
ftp - FTP client configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/ftp DESCRIPTION
Use the ftp file to configure the behavior of the FTP client. Lines that begin with a hash symbol ("# ") are treated as comment lines and are ignored. Behavior Directives The ftp file supports the following behavior directives: FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST=yes | no The ls command of the ftp client sends an NLST to the FTP Server by default. Several non-Solaris clients send LIST instead. In order to make the Solaris ftp client send LIST when the ls command is issued, set FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST to no. The value of FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST is yes by default. If the user sets a value for FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST in the user's environment, this value will override any FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST directive that is specified in /etc/default/ftp. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbipr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 22 Oct 2002 ftp(4)