Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recovering a failed system
Operating Systems AIX Recovering a failed system Post 302345371 by aixpank on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 04:48:52 AM
Old 08-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
mksysb is basically a "savevg rootvg", so there is no need to exclude such mount points because the backup process would stop on VG boundaries anyways. If you haven't included the mount points you will have to manually recreate them. Write a script which does that for you, complete with ownership, rights, filemodes, etc., so you could use it to restore them in case you need them again.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
Thanks for your reply bakunin, but you haven't answered my requirement.
See I have a mksysb which is not containing my application mount point as it was taken with excluding those mount point due to size contraints.

Now I want to recover the system with those mount points. System is not booting.

This is the scenario, now pls suggest how can I restore my system along with those mount points. I have a spare disks on which I can restore the mksysb, but then what abt those application mount point, how I will be able to recover them from those failed disk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/: write failed, file system full

Sun server 4 Getting message /: write failed, file system full. Okay so the problem seems obvious. The file system is full. This server is used for DNS and DHCP on a T1 connected WAN. I can't get it to quit displaying the same message as above, even when powered down and restarted. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancest
1 Replies

2. SCO

HELP! Recovering system from New Orleans!!

I am helping a company recover a system that is SCO OS 5.0.5 - they have their backup media, cd copies of SCO, but they do not have their license keys to install and SCO is being difficult in validating their license. Does anyone have an install license key for 5.0.5 that they would be willing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggraham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Trying to back up my system and failed(with smit)

1. creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg ok! 2. creating tape boot image bosboot : dd failed to copy /dev/rmt1.1. bosboot: WARNING! bosboot failed - do not attempt to boot device mksysb: Attempt to create a bootable tape failed: bosboot -d /dev/rmt1.1 -a failed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fla22
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Is it possible that recovering a disk with jffs2 file system ?

Is it possible that recovering a disk with jffs2 file system ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s. murat
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name

As we are facing issue with this server connection. The error is: The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name. how can i check if the server "server1" is able to resolve the client hostname (hosts / dns)? i can ping the client from server. any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinslick25
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Recovering from corrupt /etc/system file

Hi I would like to know one thing while recovering from corrupt /etc/system file. For that we have to do at ok> boot -a when system ask for system file we give /dev/null. Could any one tell me what /dev/null value will do in this case. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System call failed with 127 .. after 500 times when called in loop

Hi Experts, I have a code like this. ===== #include.... int main() { int count = 0; while(1){ printf("\n Interation number is: %d \n ",count); rv = system(" test.sh > log.txt " ); if (-1 == rv) { printf("Could not generate static log: error... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyjeshan
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 luupgrade flash archive file system creation failed

Hey guys, I'm attempting to migrate us to a new box. First problem I had was the change in architecture going from sun4u to sun4v, we have a Sun M5000 and are moving to a Fujitsu M10-4. I figured out how to make the flash archive work between architectures. Now I appear to be running into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Recover failed system disk

I have an oldish Solaris 10 system (SunFire x4240), which due to a recent heating event in the server room, lost it's system disk. I have rsync backups of all the other (data) disks, but apparently I do not have a backup of /. :-( I can start the machine up in failsafe mode, but running fsck on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jj5406
4 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

Failed to read from eventlog: 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Hello Team, I am getting below error on nagios to monitor windows Server 2012. Failed to read from eventlog: 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning. basically we are monitoring Eventlog file for server reboot or unexpected shutdown. Could you please help here. What could be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
0 Replies
named.stats(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    named.stats(4)

NAME
named.stats - Contains BIND server statistics DESCRIPTION
The named.stats file contains server statistics for queries to and from hosts in a BIND environment. You can use this data to determine the load on a DNS server and diagnose problems. See the named(8) reference page for information about how to specify the name and location of the named.stats file; the default is /var/tmp/named.stats. The query fields for global and per-node statistics, as specified in the LEGEND section of the named.stats file, are defined as follows: Received a response from a node Received a negative response from a node Received a response from a node that this node had to forward Received an extra answer from a node Received a server failed message (SERVFAIL) from a node Received a format error message (FORMERR) from a node Received some other error from a node Received an zone transfer request mes- sage (AXFR) from a node Received a lame delegation from a node Received some IP options from a node Sent a node a system query Sent a node an answer Forwarded a query to a node Sent a node a retry Sent to a node, but the send failed (in sendto) Received a query from a node Received an inverse query from a node Received a query from a node that this node had to forward Received a retry from a node Received a query using TCP from a node Forwarded a response to a node Sent a node a server failed message (SERVFAIL) Sent a node a format error message (FORMERR) Sent a non-authoritative answer to a node Sent a negative response to a node EXAMPLES
The following example is an excerpt of a named.stats file: +++ Statistics Dump +++ (917839766) Sun Jan 31 22:29:26 1999 370508 time since boot (secs) 370508 time since reset (secs) 130 Unknown query types 711033 A queries 35 NS queries 37 CNAME queries 40 SOA queries 2 MB queries 198963 PTR queries 26088 MX queries 1 TXT queries 20 AAAA queries 60910 ANY queries ++ Name Server Statistics ++ (Legend) RR RNXD RFwdR RDupR RFail RFErr RErr RAXFR RLame ROpts SSysQ SAns SFwdQ SDupQ SErr RQ RIQ RFwdQ RDupQ RTCP SFwdR SFail SFErr SNaAns SNXD (Global) 537 231 479 0 2 10 0 0 5 0 54 56382 479 8 2 38849 3 0 0 6 479 2 5 19057 1285 [0.0.0.0] 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 23 1 0 0 0 [4.0.38.18] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 [4.0.147.94] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 . . . The values in each entry below the (Global) delimeter are separated into five groups, each with five numbers. These groups of numbers cor- relate to the fields in the Legend section of the file, which are separated into similar groups. From the left of an entry, the first field is RR, the next is RNXD, and so on. In the next group of five on the same line, the first field is RFErr, the next is RErr, and so on. In the Global entry, you can see that, in total, there were 537 queries received, 231 negatives responses received, 479 queries that were forwarded to other BIND servers, and so on. Subsequent entries can be interpreted in a similar manner. The Global values in this example are indicative of several problems: RFail = 2 The server received 2 failure messages from a node or nodes. There might be a problem with the nodes that attempted to query the server. Find the IP addresses of the nodes and contact the administrators. RFErr = 10 The server received 10 improperly formatted queries from a node or nodes. If this happens consistently, a hacker might be trying to break into the server. You should run a monitoring tool to collect more data. RLame = 5 The server received 5 lame delegations. This problem occurs if nodes query the server for information regarding a zone for which it has no authority. It is usually a temporary condition, but if the problem persists, contact the nodes' administrators and ask them to check their configurations. RDupR = 8 A node or nodes sent multiple copies of the same query to the server. These errors are usually benign, but nodes should give up after 3 attempts. If the number of duplicates is fairly high, there might be a problem with the nodes or the network. SErr = 2 The server attempted to send 2 queries to a forwarder or forwarders by using the sendto system call, and the attempts failed. Check your configuration and make sure that all of the forwarders you listed are reachable. RIQ = 3 The server received 3 inverse queries. These queries are usually benign, but if the value is fairly high, a hacker might be trying to break into the server. You should run a monitoring tool to collect more data. SFail = 2 The server sent 2 failure messages to a node or nodes. These failures are usually benign, but might not be under certain condi- tions. If the server sends many SFail errors to one node, there might be a problem with that node. If the node is another name- server, it might be lame nameserver. If the node is a host, it is sending abnormal queries. You should find the offending node and resolve the problem. SFerr = 5 The server informed a node or nodes that their requests were improperly formatted. The value of this field usually correlates to the RFErr field. You should find the offending node and resolve the problem. FILES
The syslogd daemon offers a partial listing of the named.stats data in the daemon.log file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: named(8), syslogd(8) delim off named.stats(4)