Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recovering a failed system
Operating Systems AIX Recovering a failed system Post 302345371 by aixpank on Wednesday 19th of August 2009 04:48:52 AM
Old 08-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
mksysb is basically a "savevg rootvg", so there is no need to exclude such mount points because the backup process would stop on VG boundaries anyways. If you haven't included the mount points you will have to manually recreate them. Write a script which does that for you, complete with ownership, rights, filemodes, etc., so you could use it to restore them in case you need them again.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
Thanks for your reply bakunin, but you haven't answered my requirement.
See I have a mksysb which is not containing my application mount point as it was taken with excluding those mount point due to size contraints.

Now I want to recover the system with those mount points. System is not booting.

This is the scenario, now pls suggest how can I restore my system along with those mount points. I have a spare disks on which I can restore the mksysb, but then what abt those application mount point, how I will be able to recover them from those failed disk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/: write failed, file system full

Sun server 4 Getting message /: write failed, file system full. Okay so the problem seems obvious. The file system is full. This server is used for DNS and DHCP on a T1 connected WAN. I can't get it to quit displaying the same message as above, even when powered down and restarted. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancest
1 Replies

2. SCO

HELP! Recovering system from New Orleans!!

I am helping a company recover a system that is SCO OS 5.0.5 - they have their backup media, cd copies of SCO, but they do not have their license keys to install and SCO is being difficult in validating their license. Does anyone have an install license key for 5.0.5 that they would be willing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ggraham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Trying to back up my system and failed(with smit)

1. creating information file (/image.data) for rootvg ok! 2. creating tape boot image bosboot : dd failed to copy /dev/rmt1.1. bosboot: WARNING! bosboot failed - do not attempt to boot device mksysb: Attempt to create a bootable tape failed: bosboot -d /dev/rmt1.1 -a failed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fla22
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Is it possible that recovering a disk with jffs2 file system ?

Is it possible that recovering a disk with jffs2 file system ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s. murat
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name

As we are facing issue with this server connection. The error is: The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name. how can i check if the server "server1" is able to resolve the client hostname (hosts / dns)? i can ping the client from server. any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jinslick25
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Recovering from corrupt /etc/system file

Hi I would like to know one thing while recovering from corrupt /etc/system file. For that we have to do at ok> boot -a when system ask for system file we give /dev/null. Could any one tell me what /dev/null value will do in this case. Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System call failed with 127 .. after 500 times when called in loop

Hi Experts, I have a code like this. ===== #include.... int main() { int count = 0; while(1){ printf("\n Interation number is: %d \n ",count); rv = system(" test.sh > log.txt " ); if (-1 == rv) { printf("Could not generate static log: error... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: binnyjeshan
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 luupgrade flash archive file system creation failed

Hey guys, I'm attempting to migrate us to a new box. First problem I had was the change in architecture going from sun4u to sun4v, we have a Sun M5000 and are moving to a Fujitsu M10-4. I figured out how to make the flash archive work between architectures. Now I appear to be running into an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaledragule
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Recover failed system disk

I have an oldish Solaris 10 system (SunFire x4240), which due to a recent heating event in the server room, lost it's system disk. I have rsync backups of all the other (data) disks, but apparently I do not have a backup of /. :-( I can start the machine up in failsafe mode, but running fsck on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jj5406
4 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

Failed to read from eventlog: 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Hello Team, I am getting below error on nagios to monitor windows Server 2012. Failed to read from eventlog: 31: A device attached to the system is not functioning. basically we are monitoring Eventlog file for server reboot or unexpected shutdown. Could you please help here. What could be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
0 Replies
GPTBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						GPTBOOT(8)

NAME
gptboot -- GPT bootcode for UFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a UFS partition on a GPT-partitioned disk. gptboot is installed in a freebsd-boot par- tition with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. PARTITION ATTRIBUTES
gptboot checks and manages several attributes of GPT UFS partitions. bootme Attempt to boot from this partition. If more than one partition has the bootme attribute set, gptboot will attempt to boot each one until successful. bootonce Attempt to boot from this partition only one time. Setting this attribute with gpart(8) automatically also sets the bootme attribute. Multiple partitions may have the bootonce and bootme attributes set. bootfailed The bootfailed attribute marks partitions that had the bootonce attribute set, but failed to boot. This attribute is managed by the system. See BOOTING and POST-BOOT ACTIONS below for details. USAGE
For normal usage, the user does not have to set or manage any of the partition attributes. gptboot will boot from the first UFS partition found. The bootonce attribute can be used for testing an upgraded operating system on an already-working computer. The existing system partition is left untouched, and the new version of the operating system to be tested is installed on another partition. The bootonce attribute is set on that new test partition. The next boot is attempted from the test partition. Success or failure will be shown in the system log files. After a successful boot of the test partition, a user script can check the logs and change the bootme attributes so the test partition becomes the new system partition. Because the bootonce attribute is cleared after an attempted boot, a failed boot will not leave the system attempting to boot from a partition that will never succeed. Instead, the system will boot from the older, known-working operating system that has not been modified. If the bootme attribute is set on any partitions, booting will be attempted from them first. If no partitions with bootme attributes are found, booting will be attempted from the first UFS partition found. BOOTING
gptboot first reads the partition table. All freebsd-ufs partitions with only the bootonce attribute set, indicating a failed boot, are set to bootfailed. gptboot then scans through all of the freebsd-ufs partitions. Boot behavior depends on the combination of bootme and bootonce attributes set on those partitions. bootonce + bootme Highest priority: booting is attempted from each of the freebsd-ufs partitions with both of these attributes. On each partition, the bootme attribute is removed and the boot attempted. bootme Middle priority: booting is attempted from each of the freebsd-ufs partitions with the bootme attribute. If neither bootonce nor bootme attributes are found on any partitions, booting is attempted from the first freebsd-ufs partition on the disk. POST-BOOT ACTIONS The startup script /etc/rc.d/gptboot checks the attributes of freebsd-ufs partitions on all GPT disks. Partitions with the bootfailed attribute generate a ``boot from X failed'' system log message. Partitions with only the bootonce attribute, indicating a partition that successfully booted, generate a ``boot from X succeeded'' system log message. The bootfailed attributes are cleared from all the partitions. The bootonce attribute is cleared from the partition that successfully booted. There is normally only one of these. FILES
/boot/gptboot bootcode binary /boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
gptboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition, usually the first partition on the disk. A ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)) is typically installed in combination with gptboot. Install gptboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0 gptboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0 Set the bootme attribute for partition 2: gpart set -a bootme -i 2 ada0 Set the bootonce attribute for partition 2, automatically also setting the bootme attribute: gpart set -a bootonce -i 2 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), rc.conf(5), boot(8), gpart(8) HISTORY
gptboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
This manual page written by Warren Block <wblock@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 5, 2014 BSD