Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to exit out of the calling Shell Script Post 302345260 by laumars on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 06:40:37 PM
Old 08-18-2009
have a none-zero exit code from script2 and get script1 to check for the exit code before proceeding.

Exit Shell Script Based on Process Exit Code - Stack Overflow

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell script ?

hi friends, i'm new to unix and straight away i had to start with the script files. I've a script file which gets called from a menu item on a GUI. This script file again calls .awk file, in performing some tasks , which also generates certain files. I modified the files to generate some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravi_Kandula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing exit code to calling script

In production I need to pass an exit code from a script that is being called 3 or 4 layers deep. I've created test scripts to play with it until I get it right. As you can tell, this is not my normal job. Perhaps I should have entered this in UNIX for Dummies section. Anyway, I keep losing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debbiekuch
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit a shell script!!

could somebody tell me please how to exit a shell script: if then echo "No arguments detected" exit 1 fi ... echo "still there" # is displayed .. :-( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sami98
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Shell Script

Hello Friends, I have bash script on unix server which i want to call from windows server. Basically i want a command line which will call this script on unix server. Any one has any idea regarding this? Help really appreciated!! Thanks, Roshni. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onlyroshni
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell functions from another shell script

Hi, I have a query .. i have 2 scripts say 1.sh and 2.sh 1.sh contains many functions written using shell scripts. 2.sh is a script which needs to call the functions definded in 1.sh function calls are with arguments. Can some one tell me how to call the functions from 2.sh? Thanks in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling another shell script

Hi there, I have an script reading content of a file and runs whatever command is specified there, as follows #!/bin/bash # Supposed to read from a file that commands are listed to be run # when the server starts for initialization CMD_FILE=/myScripts/startup/task2do.txt if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james gordon
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit shell from a script

hi guys I have a script that I need to terminate or exit the shell or session completely for the user but the exit only exit from the script and takes the user to the shell I found this https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/399-using-exit-command-shell-script.html saying that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kopper
1 Replies

9. Programming

Gcc error when calling exit(-1) in a .c file

gcc is giving me an error when calling exit(-1) in xbuplot.c cd ../pltlib; make xbuplot.o make: Entering directory `/media/ios120/chrisd/research/fast-zb/fast/pltlib' gcc -c -o xbuplot.o xbuplot.c xbuplot.c: In function ‘xbuinit_': xbuplot.c:171:5: warning: incompatible implicit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit the shell script

Hi, suppose my script is sample.sh i have to run using '. ./sample.sh' as . ./script file always executes the script in my parent shell. when my sample.sh contains exit command .. my environment is getting closed as am executing in the parent shell ... please suggest me how can i use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
5 Replies
EXIT(P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   EXIT(P)

NAME
exit - cause the shell to exit SYNOPSIS
exit [n] DESCRIPTION
The exit utility shall cause the shell to exit with the exit status specified by the unsigned decimal integer n. If n is specified, but its value is not between 0 and 255 inclusively, the exit status is undefined. A trap on EXIT shall be executed before the shell terminates, except when the exit utility is invoked in that trap itself, in which case the shell shall exit immediately. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
The exit status shall be n, if specified. Otherwise, the value shall be the exit value of the last command executed, or zero if no command was executed. When exit is executed in a trap action, the last command is considered to be the command that executed immediately preceding the trap action. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Exit with a true value: exit 0 Exit with a false value: exit 1 RATIONALE
As explained in other sections, certain exit status values have been reserved for special uses and should be used by applications only for those purposes: 126 A file to be executed was found, but it was not an executable utility. 127 A utility to be executed was not found. >128 A command was interrupted by a signal. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXIT(P)