Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scheduling a command to run every 3 days through cron Post 302345052 by Arunprasad on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 09:49:30 AM
Old 08-18-2009
vidyadhar85,
I want to run every 3 days say like 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th ......

jim mcnamara,
I verified the man page for %s in date command and which is not available (for %S is avaiable). Is that `date +%s` throws the number of seconds from the begining of the calendar? or only for the current day. As you suggested i am going for the well proposed solution DOW with fixed values.

FYI, I am using Unix AIX 5 OS.

Thanks for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron job scheduling

Hi, How can I configure cron file , to execute a script on evey alternate saturdays ? I am using AIX 5.0 machine Thanks in advance Shihab (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scheduling tasks with cron

hello there, i'm learning about task scheduling with cron and all seems hyper exciting, yeppie. But there is a prob: assume i have a script that needed to be executed at 7am everyday. I could do: vi mycron 00 7 * * * echo hi mother, i wanna be a script daddy. :wq crontab mycron how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

cron scheduling?

Hi all, i want a job to run first monday of every of month. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding cron scheduling command

Below are two cron entries. what is the difference beteeen writing 20 and */20? how is "20 * * * *" different from "*/20 * * * *"? 1) 20 * * * * find /tmp/ -name "*.log.*" ! -name "*.gz" -mmin +1440 -exec gzip '{}' \; 2) */20 * * * * find /tmp/ -name "*.tmp.*" ! -name "*.gz" -mmin +1440... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: niks
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scheduling bi-weekly through cron

Is there a way in AIX to schedule a script to run bi-weekly through cron? I have a script that needs to run every other Wednesday, and this is what I thought I had to enter in the crontab file: 00 08 * * 3/2 /home/user/user.script It didn't like that. It reports a syntax error. I'm almost... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LPT
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job to run a command from another dir?

I would like to setup a cron job to run a command from another directory. What is the best way to do this? The cron file is in a directory and the script I want it to run is in another directory. I tried doing this in the cron file: /location/of/command/run.sh But that did not work.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to run a command from cron

How can I run the following command from cron? tar -cvf /email_backup/email_bu_062110.tar /prod/email (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim73
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduling Cron Jobs on Business Days

Hello, is it possible to schedule cron jobs using business days instead of calendar days? I need to run several jobs on first and third business days of the month. I currently have this cron-tab entry which runs every week day at 5 AM. I need to schedule the same job on the 3rd Business day of the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
8 Replies

9. Red Hat

Scheduling cron job

Hi Everybody, I want to run a script at every 5 seconds. I know how to run it every 5 minutes, is there any possibility to run a script at 5 seconds interval. Regards, Mastan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job cannot run the command

Hi, I created this cron job for asterisk to send sms daily to a number #!/bin/sh #custom mod - send sms once a day, at 07:00. CRON_PATH="/etc/asterisk/gw/crontabs_root"; if ! grep 'gsm send sms' $CRON_PATH > /dev/null 2>&1 ;then echo "* 7 * * * asterisk -rx 'gsm send sms 1 7666... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
4 Replies
strclean(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      strclean(1M)

NAME
strclean - STREAMS error logger cleanup program SYNOPSIS
strclean [-a age] [-d logdir] DESCRIPTION
strclean is used to clean up the STREAMS error logger directory on a regular basis (for example, by using cron. By default, all files with names matching error.* in /var/adm/streams that have not been modified in the last three days are removed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a age The maximum age in days for a log file can be changed using the -a option. -d logdir A directory other than /var/adm/streams can be specified using the -d option. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample of using the strclean command. This example has the same result as running strclean with no arguments: example% strclean -d /var/adm/streams -a 3 FILES
/var/adm/streams/error.* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cron(1M), strerr(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
strclean is typically run from cron on a daily or weekly basis. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 strclean(1M)