Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Capturing Sybase SP output in Shell Script Post 302344689 by Tytalus on Monday 17th of August 2009 10:07:47 AM
Old 08-17-2009
When I've needed to do something like this I've usually dome something like:

Code:
#get DB user password
stty -echo
trap "stty echo ; echo 'Interrupted' ; exit 1" 1 2 3 15
/usr/bin/echo "Enter password for userfoo account on barbar DB: "
read password
stty echo

#grab output and dump to temp file
isql -S Blah -U foo -P${password} -w 200 <<EOF > /tmp/tmp.$$ 2>&1
random sql query
and so on..
go
EOF

#check for errors/valid output and parse nicely or give error.
grep affected /tmp/tmp.$$ > /dev/null
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then 
  Do whatever I'm going to do with my output
else
  cat /tmp/tmp.$$
fi

rm /tmp/tmp.$$

HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output in script

I have the following line in my script: $sftpcmd $rmthost <<COMMANDS>> $sftplog 2>&1 For some reason this is not capturing the errors from sftp, they go to the file attached to the cron entry ie mm hh dd MM * /myscript > cron.out any idea why? digital unix 4.0d (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing shell script command output

I am trying to check to see if a file exists on a ftp server, well, I know that cant be done, atleast directly, So I came up with this small script ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD cd public_html/crap dir $FILE quit END_SCRIPT Where the $ variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: designflaw
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing line from script output and appending to a file

Hi all, I did some searching in this forum but can't find anything that matches the issue I'm bumping heads with. On a CentOS4/Postfix (and bash everywhere) mail gateway box I run a command periodically to purge the Postfix queue of messages "From:MAILER-DAEMON". This is the one line'r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wally_welder
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to sybase via shell script.

Hi All, I was able to connect to sybase in shell script and also able to run few sql queries, something like this, #!/usr/bin/ksh -x temp=`echo "select name from sysobjects where type = 'U'"` results=`isql -SDS_SERVER-UAdhocUser -Pha12 <<EOF set rowcount 6 $temp go EOF` line_count=0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arvindcgi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sybase connection through shell-script

:mad: how do i connect to sybase through shell script written in linux (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitabh
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem capturing output in TCL script

I have a TCL script that logs into a switch using expect.I send a command "show port-security address" and it returns a table having a large number of rows.I need to capture this output(the table) and store it in a .txt file. I have done this: match_max 5000 set expect_out(buffer) {} set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: plasmalightwave
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute stored procedure through script in sybase database and store the output in a .csv file

Hi, I have a sybase stored procedure which takes two input parameters (start_date and end_date) and when it get executed, it gives few records as an output. I want to write a unix script (ksh) which login to the sybase database, then execute this stored procedure (takes the input parameter as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing script output and input to log

Hi Is there a way that I can capture a shell script (both output and input) to a log file where I can analyze it? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help capturing output of expect script

match_max 500000 set timeout 30 set outcome1 {} set outcome2 {} set inputfile C:\\Users\\Administrator\\Desktop\\inputfile.txt send -i $con "\r"; expect -i $con "Desktop>" { exp_send "type $inputfile \r" } set timeout 30 expect { "Desktop>" { set outcome $expect_out(0,string);}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cityprince143
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)