Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: user permissions
Operating Systems Solaris user permissions Post 302344526 by Smiling Dragon on Monday 17th of August 2009 02:21:47 AM
Old 08-17-2009
So you want the file permissions on the user's home dir?
Code:
ls -ld `egrep '^username\:' /etc/passwd | cut -d ':' -f 6`| awk '{ print $1 }' | head -1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view user permissions on directory

Hello, and thanks in advance- I just installled red hat and pinged my machine and got a reply. When i go to http://myIPhere from my other machine it asks for a password and username. It doesnt accepts the username and passwords I use to login to my linux box. I therefore think its a premissions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 99miles
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing permissions of a user

So I need to change the permissions of my user account. I can access the root account on the server, but don't know how to change the permissions of my user account. I was advised to try 'userconf' to see if I am part of a group, but I dunno how that works. ANyone who knows how to see the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achink125
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user permissions question

I have an application where in a user uploads files into a directory that has a collection of image files, as well as a text file that is read by a web script later. The script imports the text file data into a database, then copies the image files to a secure location. Ideally it should remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdw.lighting
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a user's file permissions

Hi. I would like to know if there is any command that could list simple file permissions (like , R , RW..etc) for a given uid/userid and on a given file/dir. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram123
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do i change the user permissions..

Hi everyone, There are couple of users of which i need to give 2 of the users admin rights so that they are able to run the administration commands like "zoneadm" and locale. When logged in as root i am obviously able to do that.please suggest any way by which the other 2 user's permissions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sankasu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see a user's permissions on a directory

i know about ls, I know.... but some of our shares have a long messy list of acls and it is a lot to sort through.. without a grep option, unless you have a really nice one, is there a simple way to say: show me <USER> acl permissions on <SHARE> ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

new-user permissions

Hi, i'm using a Unix machine. I login as root. when i create new users using useradd -m <user_name> their home directories will be created in /home/ directory with default permissons of 750. i.e., drwxr-x--- how can i change these default permissions..?? which file to access and what changes i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepyes
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the permissions linux user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2759&stc=1&d=1334070669 If the user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell: echo "Enter User:" read user ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkner
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check the permissions user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachments/shell-programming-scripting/2759d1334070669-check-permissions-linux-user-capture.png If user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permissions for particular user

Hi, How can we assign file permissions for a purticular user, rather than giving to whole group. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies
POSIX_GETPWUID(3)							 1							 POSIX_GETPWUID(3)

posix_getpwuid - Return info about a user by user id

SYNOPSIS
array posix_getpwuid (int $uid) DESCRIPTION
Returns an array of information about the user referenced by the given user ID. PARAMETERS
o $uid - The user identifier. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array with the following elements: The user information array +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Element | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | name | | | | | | | The name element contains the username of the | | | user. This is a short, usually less than 16 char- | | | acter "handle" of the user, not the real, full | | | name. | | | | |passwd | | | | | | | The passwd element contains the user's password | | | in an encrypted format. Often, for example on a | | | system employing "shadow" passwords, an asterisk | | | is returned instead. | | | | | uid | | | | | | | User ID, should be the same as the $uid parame- | | | ter used when calling the function, and hence | | | redundant. | | | | | gid | | | | | | | The group ID of the user. Use the function | | | posix_getgrgid(3) to resolve the group name and a | | | list of its members. | | | | | gecos | | | | | | | GECOS is an obsolete term that refers to the | | | finger information field on a Honeywell batch | | | processing system. The field, however, lives on, | | | and its contents have been formalized by POSIX. | | | The field contains a comma separated list con- | | | taining the user's full name, office phone, | | | office number, and home phone number. On most | | | systems, only the user's full name is available. | | | | | dir | | | | | | | This element contains the absolute path to the | | | home directory of the user. | | | | | shell | | | | | | | The shell element contains the absolute path to | | | the executable of the user's default shell. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example use of posix_getpwuid(3) <?php $userinfo = posix_getpwuid(10000); print_r($userinfo); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [name] => tom [passwd] => x [uid] => 10000 [gid] => 42 [gecos] => "tom,,," [dir] => "/home/tom" [shell] => "/bin/bash" ) SEE ALSO
posix_getpwnam(3), POSIX man page GETPWNAM(3). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_GETPWUID(3)