Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Count number of compressed files in a tar.gz archive Post 302344422 by Corona688 on Sunday 16th of August 2009 02:49:26 PM
Old 08-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Nobody's mentioned the O/S or how the data was compressed.
The OS probably isn't important in this case since nonportable flags like -z haven't been suggested. And given the gz, it's safe to assume the compressor was gzip.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleting files after the creation of a tar archive

Hi, I would modify to delete the files after creating the tar archive. How I can modify the following command: tar -cvvf logswitch.tar `find *.log* -mtime +5` It create a tar with files that are older than 5 days. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff on compressed files with tar.gz ext

how can I find out what is the difference between two tar.gz files without uncompressing them. thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with including specific patern files

Hi, I need to create recursive tar archive, while I put there only files of type a*.txt. Without file filtering the command is: tar cfzf test.tar.gz test_tar/ How I include the switch for including only files with pattern a*.txt ? Thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john.gelburg
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Update compressed archive (TAR)

Is it possible to update a file in a compressed archive.tgz using the tar app without uncompressing/extracting, update and compressing/creating ? tar -uvzf archive.tgz ./file.txt tar: Cannot update compressed archives Try `tar --help' for more information. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brendan76
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files count mismatch when used with Tar with find

Hi I have used the below steps and found some discrepancies step 1 : find ./ -type f -mtime +7 -name "*.00*" | wc -l = 13519 ( total files ) ( the size of this files is appx : 10GB ) step 2: find ./ -type f -mtime +7 -name "*.00*" | xargs tar zcvf Archieve_7.tar.gz step... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files from tar archive which are more than 1000 days old.

I am not able to extract/remove files older than 1000 days from a tar archive in linux system. #!/usr/bin/perl @file_list = `find /home/x/tmp/ -name *xxMsg* -ctime +7`; $file_name = '/home/x/tmp/new_archive.tar'; for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DannyV
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to download compressed archive zips in bulky automatically using wget?

How to download in bulky compressed (zip, 7z, bzip, xz, etc) archive files from a repository automatically by use of wget ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
3 Replies
VM_STAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						VM_STAT(1)

NAME
vm_stat -- show Mach virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vm_stat [[-c count] interval] DESCRIPTION
vm_stat displays Mach virtual memory statistics. If the optional interval is specified, then vm_stat will display the statistics every interval seconds. In this case, each line of output displays the change in each statistic (an interval count of 1 displays the values per second). However, the first line of output following each banner displays the system-wide totals for each statistic. If a count is pro- vided, the command will terminate after count intervals. The following values are displayed: Pages free the total number of free pages in the system. Pages active the total number of pages currently in use and pageable. Pages inactive the total number of pages on the inactive list. Pages speculative the total number of pages on the speculative list. Pages throttled the total number of pages on the throttled list (not wired but not pageable). Pages wired down the total number of pages wired down. That is, pages that cannot be paged out. Pages purgeable the total number of purgeable pages. Translation faults the number of times the "vm_fault" routine has been called. Pages copy-on-write the number of faults that caused a page to be copied (generally caused by copy-on-write faults). Pages zero filled the total number of pages that have been zero-filled on demand. Pages reactivated the total number of pages that have been moved from the inactive list to the active list (reactivated). Pages purged the total number of pages that have been purged. File-backed pages the total number of pages that are file-backed (non-swap) Anonymous pages the total number of pages that are anonymous Uncompressed pages the total number of pages (uncompressed) held within the compressor Pages used by VM compressor: the number of pages used to store compressed VM pages. Pages decompressed the total number of pages that have been decompressed by the VM compressor. Pages compressed the total number of pages that have been compressed by the VM compressor. Pageins the total number of requests for pages from a pager (such as the inode pager). Pageouts the total number of pages that have been paged out. Swapins the total number of compressed pages that have been swapped out to disk. Swapouts the total number of compressed pages that have been swapped back in from disk. If interval is not specified, then vm_stat displays all accumulated statistics along with the page size. Mac OS X August 13, 1997 Mac OS X