Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Is there a system call other than 'open' for opening very large files? Post 302344370 by dariyoosh on Sunday 16th of August 2009 08:10:59 AM
Old 08-16-2009
Dear jim mcnamara and achenle

Thank you very much both of you for your help.
I tried with GCC command line option -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
and it worked.

currently I'm using ubuntu 9.0.4 32-bit
but I think I'm going to switch to Fedora Core 11 (64-bit)
which according to what I read in forums it is better
configured for application development (please correct
me if I'm wrong)

Just one more question about what achenle mentioned.
Quote:
... Or you can just compile everything as a 64-bit binary
if you're running on a 64-bit OS. If you go that route
it's usually a lot simpler. But you have to actually read specifications ...
Is there any specification written particularly for 64 bit?
I mean, If I install a 64bit Linux, will I have linux man pages
specially for 64bit or there will be the same 32bit linux manual
pages when I type man <section> <command>?

Because currently the only official specification that I use
which is also available on the web is the last version of POSIX:

The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7

It seems that in the case where everything fully conforms to this
specification, the application will be portable (which seems that it is
not the case in my problem, because neither 'fopen64' nor
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 is POSIX compliant).

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Why is my file system cache so large

Hi I have a filesystem cache which is around 20G in size and I'm a bit perplexed as to what is in it. I'm running Sybase on the machine with the db on raw volumes and a tempdb on a ramdisk. My understanding is that raw volumes are not cached and I assumed that the ramdisk is not either. Am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgibbons
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

3. Web Development

Content Management System for uploading large files

Hi everybody, I am currently trying to develop a simple content management system where I have an internal website for my users to upload large files onto the server. The site is password protected and my users won't be trying to hack into the system so security is a non-factor (as least for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

System Call Wrapper of 'open'

When the programmer use 'open' function, the process is like below. "open -> system call wrapper of open in Glibc -> syscall_open in kernel" I found the wrapper of open, but there is no implementation like 'int $80'. int __open (file, oflag) const char *file; int oflag; { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yuno96
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance pls - pipe error: Too many open files in system

When I run a bash script in the customer system, it throws the warning and script exits Exec '/root/sample.sh' @ hostname-- OK (warn) /root/sample.sh: pipe error: Too many open files in system /root/sample.sh: n + : syntax error: operand expected (error token is " ") Exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyamirra
5 Replies

6. SCO

Need advice: Copying large CSV report files off SCO system

I have a SCO Unix server from 1999 running SCO 5.0.5 and some ancient accounting software called Real World A report writer program on the system is used to generate CSV files from accounting that we write with DOSCOPY commands to 3.5" floppies In the next 60 days we will be decommissioning... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnetman
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

resize2fs open: Is a directory while opening /home

Can anyone explain this error to me? I am trying to use resize2fs to resize an ext4 partition. I did unmount the partition and I don't have any files opened or anything like that. Here is the full output. # resize2fs -p /home 3G resize2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010) open: Is a directory while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Programming

open() system call in c++????

Hi friends, I am trying to use the open system call in c++ language. Please have a look at my code. vi Open.cpp 1 #include <stdio.h> 2 #include <iostream> 3 4 #define BUFSIZE 1 5 6 using namespace std; 7 8 int main() 9 { 10 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to open large datafie in awk?

I just tried awk '{print}' all.plo awk: cannot open all.plo (Value too large for defined data type)awk '{print $8"-"$7"-"$6,$9,$4,$5,$12,$15}' all.plo awk: cannot open all.plo (Value too large for defined data type) datafile size is 4.8GB any other provision ? only cat works FS is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting read only propmt when opening /etc/system file

root@atrcx146:/# vi /etc/system "/var/tmp/Exv9a4Rb" Read-only file system Please let me know the reason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marty11
1 Replies
ISASCII(3P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual						       ISASCII(3P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
isascii - test for a 7-bit US-ASCII character SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int isascii(int c); DESCRIPTION
The isascii() function shall test whether c is a 7-bit US-ASCII character code. The isascii() function is defined on all integer values. RETURN VALUE
The isascii() function shall return non-zero if c is a 7-bit US-ASCII character code between 0 and octal 0177 inclusive; otherwise, it shall return 0. ERRORS
No errors are defined. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
None. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
The Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <ctype.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 ISASCII(3P)