Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming when socket know the peer machin has already been down? Post 302344262 by Corona688 on Saturday 15th of August 2009 12:33:31 PM
Old 08-15-2009
To reiterate, TCP takes a while to detect and close broken connections because that is what it is designed to do, because it's a stream socket with best-effort delivery. If you don't want that behavior, don't use a stream socket with best-effort delivery. UDP would be more appropriate. You could also use ICMP -- that is, ping.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-15-2009 at 01:39 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the list of process running in the server from the local machin n unix ?

how to get the list of process running in the server from the local machin n unix ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

3. Solaris

peer-to-peer connection on solaris and windows

hi everyone. As a solaris/unix beginner, I am trying a peer-to-peer connection with my Sun and Windows. Here is my setup: -Windows XP -Sun System (Netra T1) which is connected to the console of the WinXP machine. -Windows XP has wireless connection which enables me to access internet ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: graboid888
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Firewall stopping Peer to Peer File sharing

I am looking for advice on a router. I am new to Linux and am trying to use Limewire and Ktorent and can make no connection. Limewire indicates I have a firewall. I have a Linksys router WRK54G and my guess is that is the problem. I have spent hours upon hours trying to get it to work using info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul K
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

I get this error when I log in through console: "fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer". Can you tell me what this is and why it happens, and how to stop it? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamnew2solaris
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

7. IP Networking

Problem with Static route through peer to peer connection

Hi, I am trying to add a static route in one of 3 server (S3) so that I can access the main application server (S1). But problem is, the server (S3) where I am trying to add static route is connected with another server (S2) which is in same private network of application server (S1). I have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ImranBD
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer [preauth]

Hello, I have recently updated my AIX machine from version 6.1.7.5 to 6.1.9.1 and i noticed that the errpt of the server is full of ssh messages like the one below: sshdprocess_id>]: fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer Does anyone knows if this a known bug of the ssh... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
15 Replies

9. AIX

Add AIX machin to my windows network

Hi, Can you explain me step by step how can add my aix 6.1 to windows network. Thans:rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tatab355
5 Replies
socket.h(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       socket.h(3)

NAME
socket.h - Network addresses and sockets related classes. SYNOPSIS
#include <cc++/address.h> Classes class ost::Socket The Socket is used as the base for all Internet protocol services under Common C++. class ost::DCCPSocket DCCP sockets are used for stream based connected sessions between two sockets. class ost::UDPSocket UDP sockets implement the TCP SOCK_DGRAM UDP protocol. class ost::UDPBroadcast Representing a UDP socket used for subnet broadcasts, this class provides an alternate binding and setPeer() capability for UDP sockets. class ost::UDPTransmit Representing half of a two-way UDP connection, the UDP transmitter can broadcast data to another selected peer host or to an entire subnet. class ost::UDPReceive Representing half of a two-way UDP connection, the UDP receiver can receive data from another peer host or subnet. class ost::UDPDuplex UDP duplex connections impliment a bi-directional point-to-point UDP session between two peer hosts. class ost::TCPSocket TCP sockets are used for stream based connected sessions between two sockets. class ost::TCPV6Socket TCPV6 sockets are used for stream based connected sessions between two ipv6 sockets. class ost::TCPStream TCP streams are used to represent TCP client connections to a server by TCP protocol servers for accepting client connections. class ost::TCPSession The TCP session is used to primarily to represent a client connection that can be managed on a separate thread. class ost::SimpleTCPStream Simple TCP Stream, to be used with Common C++ Library. Namespaces namespace ost Macros #define INVALID_SOCKET -1 #define _IOLEN64 #define _IORET64 #define MSG_DONTWAIT 0 #define MSG_NOSIGNAL 0 #define SOCK_DCCP 6 #define IPPROTO_DCCP 33 #define SOL_DCCP 269 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_AVAILABLE_CCIDS 12 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_CCID 13 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_TX_CCID 14 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_RX_CCID 15 Typedefs typedef int SOCKET Variables class __EXPORT ost::SimpleTCPStream Detailed Description Network addresses and sockets related classes. Macro Definition Documentation #define _IOLEN64 Referenced by ost::SocketPort::peek(), ost::UDPSocket::peek(), ost::TCPStream::peek(), ost::SocketPort::receive(), ost::UDPReceive::receive(), ost::SocketPort::send(), ost::UDPTransmit::send(), and ost::UDPTransmit::transmit(). #define _IORET64 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_AVAILABLE_CCIDS 12 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_CCID 13 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_RX_CCID 15 #define DCCP_SOCKOPT_TX_CCID 14 #define INVALID_SOCKET -1 #define IPPROTO_DCCP 33 #define MSG_DONTWAIT 0 Referenced by ost::UDPTransmit::transmit(). #define MSG_NOSIGNAL 0 Referenced by ost::UDPTransmit::send(), and ost::UDPTransmit::transmit(). #define SOCK_DCCP 6 #define SOL_DCCP 269 Typedef Documentation typedef int SOCKET Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for GNU CommonC++ from the source code. GNU CommonC++ Sat Jun 23 2012 socket.h(3)