Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permission
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permission Post 302344230 by dr_mabuse on Saturday 15th of August 2009 08:35:39 AM
Old 08-15-2009
Permission

Hello
Whenever we want to oen any type of file by name, we must have execute perm. in each
dir. mentioned in the name. I changed the dir permission using chmod to test the validity of this statement.
but i still can open the file
-------
any guides would be appreciable

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su permission

Hi Forums, It seems to me that I can't use "su" command. When I type "su", I get the following message: /sbin/su - Permission denied Am I missing any thing? By the way I am using IRIX6.5 on a SGI computer. Many thanks in advance for your help. Cheers, Siavoush (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: siavoush
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission help

Ok heres the situation I've been studying Solaris 8 for about 6 months now and some things click in my head but others don't. One of the things that don't click are file permissions. For example I login at work and I use the ls -l command to get a long listing of the files w/ the permissions.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission

Is it possible to set owner to a group? I need to have a group own a process, because there will be 3 diffrent persons that will start and stop this process. They can not use the same users cause och back logging. we need to know who end when a certian user start/stops processes. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dozy
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission?

What does the following permission indicate? -rwSr----- 1 oracle dba 1536 Nov 7 17:05 orapwRTMDB Thanks, Rahul. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User permission

Hi all, I created testuser. by following command. /usr/sbin/adduser -n test -d /disk05/collections/GET/testdata/ and then set its password by following command. passwd testuser When I login to system by testuser, it enters everything is ok. The problem is how to set permission to this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Permission (I Think)

Pictures by worthamtx - Photobucket The URL is graphic view my present concern. Old partition working great sdb1 both appear on nautilus, both deliver icons to desk top. Based on the label handling of gparted results I tried following with success sudo mkdir /media/disk/data sudo chown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 77yrold
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really need help with permission changes

I dont understand why permission changes are being such a pain in the bum even after I manually changed them through properties....Anyone know what to do here because even thoguh in properties the permissions make me local admin over in the Cygwin its not working.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: okhawaja
5 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Permission denied

Trying to get date into the txt file. It says Permission denied. echo $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D) >> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt exec 2>> /tmp/systemd_suspend_test_err.txt if ; then # Do the thing you want before suspend here echo "we are suspending $(date +%I:%M:%S_%D)." elif ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
OPEN(5) 							File Formats Manual							   OPEN(5)

NAME
open, create - prepare a fid for I/O on an existing or new file SYNOPSIS
Topen tag[2] fid[2] mode[1] Ropen tag[2] fid[2] qid[8] Tcreate tag[2] fid[2] name[28] perm[4] mode[1] Rcreate tag[2] fid[2] qid[8] DESCRIPTION
The open request asks the file server to check permissions and prepare a fid for I/O with subsequent read and write messages. The mode field determines the type of I/O: 0, 1, 2, and 3 mean read access, write access, read and write access, and execute access, to be checked against the permissions for the file. In addition, if mode has the OTRUNC (0x10) bit set, the file is to be truncated, which requires write permission (if the file is append-only, and permission is granted, the open succeeds but the file will not be truncated); if the mode has the ORCLOSE (0x40) bit set, the file is to be removed when the fid is clunked, which requires permission to remove the file from its directory. If other bits are set in mode they will be ignored. It is illegal to write a directory, truncate it, or attempt to remove it on close. If the file is marked for exclusive use (see stat(5)), only one client can have the file open at any time. That is, after such a file has been opened, no other open will succeed until fid has been clunked. All these permissions are checked at the time of the open request; subsequent changes to the permissions of files do not affect the ability to read, write, or remove an open file. The create request asks the file server to create a new file with the name supplied, in the directory (dir) represented by fid, and requires write permission in the directory. The owner of the file is the implied user id of the request, the group of the file is the same as dir, and the permissions are the value of (perm&(~0777|0111)) | (dir.perm&perm&0666) if a regular file is being created and (perm&~0777) | (dir.perm&perm&0777) if a directory is being created. This means, for example, that if the create allows read permission to others, but the containing direc- tory does not, then the created file will not allow others to read the file. Finally, the newly created file is opened according to mode, and fid will represent the newly opened file. Mode is not checked against the permissions in perm. The qid for the new file is returned with the create reply message. Directories are created by setting the CHDIR bit (0x80000000) in the perm. The names . and .. are special; it is illegal to create files with these names. It is an error for either of these messages if the fid is already the product of a successful open or create message. An attempt to create a file in a directory where the given name already exists will be rejected; in this case, the create system call (see open(2)) uses open with truncation. The algorithm used by create is: first walk to the directory to contain the file. If that fails, return an error. Next walk to the specified file. If the walk succeeds, send a request to open and truncate the file and return the result, successful or not. If the walk fails, send a create message. If that fails, it may be because the file was created by another process after the previous walk failed, so (once) try the walk and open again. For the behavior of create on a union directory, see bind(2). ENTRY POINTS
Open and create both generate open messages; only create generates a create message. OPEN(5)