Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to cut some data from big file Post 302344195 by danmero on Saturday 15th of August 2009 12:44:44 AM
Old 08-15-2009
You can try awk:
Code:
# time awk 'NR >= 46467831 && NR <= 50022172' big_file > new_big_file

real    0m46.536s
user    0m43.761s
sys     0m1.487s

# wc -l < new_big_file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to read data from a file (cut/awk)

Hi list, i have an orcale spool file with SQL> select COMPMAP as SVC, ITEM, UNIT, sum(JAN), sum(FEB) SVC ITE U SUM(JAN) SUM(FEB) ------ --- - ---------- ---------- 401500 IOC Q 14 14 406200 LC Q 1 1 410124 IOC Q 5 4 410124 LC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rejirajraghav
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big data file - sed/grep/awk?

Morning guys. Another day another question. :rolleyes: I am knocking up a script to pull some data from a file. The problem is the file is very big (up to 1 gig in size), so this solution: for results in `grep "^\ ... works, but takes ages (we're talking minutes) to run. The data is held... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut data block from .txt file in shell scripting

Hi All, Currently i have to write a script. For which i need to cut a block from .txt file. I know the specific word that starts the block and ends the block. Can we do it in shell scripting..? Please suggest.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pank29
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut big text file into 2

I have a big text file. I want to cut it into 2 pieces at known point or I know the pattern of the contents from where it can separate the files. Is there any quick command/solution? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy221
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a big data file

Hello, I have a big data file (160 MB) full of records with pipe(|) delimited those fields. I`m sorting the file on the first field. I'm trying to sort with "sort" command and it brings me 6 minutes. I have tried with some transformation methods in perl but it results "Out of memory". I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubber08
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data from a big file using keys from another smaller file

Hi, I have 2 files format of file 1 is: a1 b2 a2 c2 d1 f3 format of file 2 is (tab delimited): a1 1.2 0.5 0.06 0.7 0.9 1 0.023 a3 0.91 0.007 0.12 0.34 0.45 1 0.7 a2 1.05 2.3 0.25 1 0.9 0.3 0.091 b1 1 5.4 0.3 9.2 0.3 0.2 0.1 b2 3 5 7 0.9 1 9 0 1 b3 0.001 1 2.3 4.6 8.9 10 0 1 0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut and paste data in new file

HI Guys, I have file A: Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kal Kaloo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kalpooo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kloo Abc Abc Klooo I want file B Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kal Kaloo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kalpooo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kloo File A is now 1 lines Abc Abc Klooo Cut all lines which have xyz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut a some required data from file

Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist I have some thing like above in the file.. Upto this portion Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: the length can be vary .. Can some one help me in taking this portion alone ORA-00942:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a big file into small ones?

Hello all, Currently I have a txt file named as a.txt with the content as: f e100 aa bb cc dd ee ff f e222 aa dd ff gg f e987 dd aa f e2222 gg ff gg aa dd ff ee ee While, for some reason I want to cut a.txt into small ones, e.g. f1.txt, f2.txt, f3.txt and f4.txt. The routine is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: locohd
6 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)