Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to cut some data from big file Post 302344178 by almanto on Friday 14th of August 2009 08:14:30 PM
Old 08-14-2009
How to cut some data from big file

How to cut data from big file

my file around 30 gb

I tried "head -50022172 filename > newfile.txt ,and tail -5454283 newfile.txt. It's slowy.

afer that I tried sed -n '46467831,50022172p' filename > newfile.txt ,also slow

Please recommend me , faster command to cut some data from Big file

Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to read data from a file (cut/awk)

Hi list, i have an orcale spool file with SQL> select COMPMAP as SVC, ITEM, UNIT, sum(JAN), sum(FEB) SVC ITE U SUM(JAN) SUM(FEB) ------ --- - ---------- ---------- 401500 IOC Q 14 14 406200 LC Q 1 1 410124 IOC Q 5 4 410124 LC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rejirajraghav
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Big data file - sed/grep/awk?

Morning guys. Another day another question. :rolleyes: I am knocking up a script to pull some data from a file. The problem is the file is very big (up to 1 gig in size), so this solution: for results in `grep "^\ ... works, but takes ages (we're talking minutes) to run. The data is held... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlam
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut data block from .txt file in shell scripting

Hi All, Currently i have to write a script. For which i need to cut a block from .txt file. I know the specific word that starts the block and ends the block. Can we do it in shell scripting..? Please suggest.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pank29
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut big text file into 2

I have a big text file. I want to cut it into 2 pieces at known point or I know the pattern of the contents from where it can separate the files. Is there any quick command/solution? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy221
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a big data file

Hello, I have a big data file (160 MB) full of records with pipe(|) delimited those fields. I`m sorting the file on the first field. I'm trying to sort with "sort" command and it brings me 6 minutes. I have tried with some transformation methods in perl but it results "Out of memory". I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubber08
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing data from a big file using keys from another smaller file

Hi, I have 2 files format of file 1 is: a1 b2 a2 c2 d1 f3 format of file 2 is (tab delimited): a1 1.2 0.5 0.06 0.7 0.9 1 0.023 a3 0.91 0.007 0.12 0.34 0.45 1 0.7 a2 1.05 2.3 0.25 1 0.9 0.3 0.091 b1 1 5.4 0.3 9.2 0.3 0.2 0.1 b2 3 5 7 0.9 1 9 0 1 b3 0.001 1 2.3 4.6 8.9 10 0 1 0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut and paste data in new file

HI Guys, I have file A: Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kal Kaloo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kalpooo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kloo Abc Abc Klooo I want file B Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kal Kaloo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kalpooo Abc XyZ Abc Xyz Kloo File A is now 1 lines Abc Abc Klooo Cut all lines which have xyz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut a some required data from file

Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist I have some thing like above in the file.. Upto this portion Data_Consolidation_Engine_Part_2_Job2..TgtArBkt: the length can be vary .. Can some one help me in taking this portion alone ORA-00942:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut a big file into small ones?

Hello all, Currently I have a txt file named as a.txt with the content as: f e100 aa bb cc dd ee ff f e222 aa dd ff gg f e987 dd aa f e2222 gg ff gg aa dd ff ee ee While, for some reason I want to cut a.txt into small ones, e.g. f1.txt, f2.txt, f3.txt and f4.txt. The routine is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: locohd
6 Replies
COPY(3) 								 1								   COPY(3)

copy - Copies file

SYNOPSIS
bool copy (string $source, string $dest, [resource $context]) DESCRIPTION
Makes a copy of the file $source to $dest. If you wish to move a file, use the rename(3) function. PARAMETERS
o $source - Path to the source file. o $dest - The destination path. If $dest is a URL, the copy operation may fail if the wrapper does not support overwriting of existing files. Warning If the destination file already exists, it will be overwritten. o $context - A valid context resource created with stream_context_create(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.4 | | | | | | | Changed the $context parameter to actually have | | | an effect. Previously, any $context was ignored. | | | | | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Added context support. | | | | | 4.3.0 | | | | | | | Both $source and $dest may now be URLs if the | | | "fopen wrappers" have been enabled. See fopen(3) | | | for more details. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 copy(3) example <?php $file = 'example.txt'; $newfile = 'example.txt.bak'; if (!copy($file, $newfile)) { echo "failed to copy $file... "; } ?> SEE ALSO
move_uploaded_file(3), rename(3), The section of the manual about handling file uploads. PHP Documentation Group COPY(3)