Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX changing Physical Partition (PP) Post 302344149 by zxmaus on Friday 14th of August 2009 05:16:01 PM
Old 08-14-2009
Hi,

your ppsize is too small - since you can have only 1016 pps on a physical disk normally, you would need a pp size of 64.

The clean way would be to restore the system from mksysb via a nimserver - the ppsize should be automatically set to 64. Since your box is so old and you maybe don't want to do this kind of restore, you could try it with a simple
Code:
chvg -t 4

- this works if your metadata doesnt need to be changed and you don't have stale partitions and allows you to have 4 x 1016 = 4064 pps on a disk but it comes with the price that you can only have max 4 disks in rootvg afterwards.

Kind regards
zxmaus

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vol group - physical partition size

Hi Everyone, Can someone tell me the effect of the pp size of the volume group created for Oracle data. It would seem that creating small pp's will cause more overhead. What if you make the pp to large? What should I base this size on? Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

5. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Changing physical block size in ssd.conf Solaris

Close (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
0 Replies
vgrestore(1M)															     vgrestore(1M)

NAME
vgrestore - restore a VxVM disk group back to an LVM volume group SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vgrestore vg_name DESCRIPTION
The vgrestore command restores a Logical Volume Manager (LVM) volume group that was previously converted to a VxVM disk group by the vxvm- convert utility. ARGUMENTS
vg_name Specifies the name of a volume group that was converted to a VxVM disk group by the vxvmconvert utility. EXIT CODES
vgrestore exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 Failure; an error occurred. WARNINGS
vgrestore functions only on VxVM disk groups that were converted from LVM volume groups by the vxvmconvert command. It is a good idea to back up user data before running vgrestore, and restore it after the vgrestore completes, as vgrestore can only restore a logical volume back to the state it was in before conversion to VxVM. If data changed on the volume while it was a VxVM volume, the changes won't be reflected on the volume after being restored to LVM. As part of the original conversion process, applications that once referenced the now-converted LVM volume's path names may have changed to reference VxVM volume special device file names. Alternatively, special device file path names originally representing the now-converted LVM volumes may have changed to symbolic links pointing to the VxVM volume path names. Be sure to undo these actions when restoring back to LVM. Do not use vgrestore unless you are certain that you want to restore LVM volume groups. After vgrestore this is run, the VxVM disks will no longer exist. EXAMPLES
To restore the LVM volume group vg03 that was converted by vxvmconvert to the VxVM disk group dg03, enter: vgcfgrestore vg03 SEE ALSO
vxvmconvert(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vgrestore(1M)