Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add few lines to a file in unix Post 302343725 by Shazin on Thursday 13th of August 2009 11:22:10 AM
Old 08-13-2009
Hi,

Please can you specify the condition were the line needs to get inserted or is it that it can be inserted in any place between the first and the last.

Cheers,
Shazin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add lines into file

Hi, i have a file like: 00:00 8 00:01 2 00:04 5 00:07 10 . . . and i need to add the other minutes with value 0 and have a file like: 00:00 8 00:01 2 00:02 0 00:03 0 00:04 5 00:05 0 00:06 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Lines in middle of file

I need to add a new lines with certain data, to an existing file, every 5 lines in the file. There is no way to find any distinct charater pattern so I will have to do a line count and then insert the new line. I think using awk or sed is what I need to do. Any help is appreciated. Kunder (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunder
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add lines in file with perl

How to search string like: a and replace to a a a : : a in a file with perl? Thanks, Grace (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinsh
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add Comments to the specifi lines i na file

I have a requirement like below.I need to Comment some lines in a file. File contains following information. { attribute1 attribute2 atrribute3 attribute4 attribute5 attribute6 attribute7 } I have a requirement like some times i need to comment lines 3 to before '}' and some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML file: add 100 lines

Hi Gurus, I have XML file which i want to add 100 lines.I have no idea in xml how to add or modify data .Any help should be appreciated. Thanks, Akil (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add lines of a file and average them

I'm reading in numbers from a file and trying to add them together. Here is the code so far. I know the 1+2+3.... part is wrong. The file has five numbers in it with each number on its own line. The numbers are decimals if that matters. Thanks. while read EachLine do echo $EachLine done <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi, i have two files. file1.sh echo "unix" echo "linux" file2.sh echo "unix linux forums" now the output i need is $./file2.sh unix linux forums (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add two common lines on entire file

Hi Hi i have 500 lines of file,each line i need to add another two lines also need to separate with one line for every 3 lines after adding two lines.How to achieve this using shell? For example: Input file : dn: uid=apple,dc=example,dc=com dn: uid=ball,dc=example,dc=com output:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add 3 new lines for every line in a file

I have a file that I need to add 3 new lines of text for every line in the file - when I attempt the sed scripting below I keep getting 'command garbled' errors. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated #!/bin/ksh list=`cat /export/home/list` for i in $list do sed ' a \... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
7 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)