Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [bash] Simple backup (cp) script but incremental Post 302343654 by Franklin52 on Thursday 13th of August 2009 08:02:47 AM
Old 08-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurens
Thanks a lot Franklin! Only; i get "cpio: Too many arguments" ?
I can't test it out but try to use a variable for the date:

Code:
CurrDate=$(date)

find * -newer /home/copy.log -print | cpio -pvdmu /oldversions/"$CurrDate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurens
Also, can it be reused, I guess it doesn't compare with a timestamp in the beginning ? Thx!
As I mentioned earlier you have to create a file the first time with the touch command with the last copy date and .... yes, the modifation time of the reference file is updated after the copy action with:

Code:
echo "Last copy on: `date`" >> copy.log

so find should looks for files older the reference file.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reinvent incremental backup in bash?

I want to backup two important files everytime they are modified. How would I write a bash script that would check the dates of my zip files and my data files and only create a new zip file if the zip file is older than the two data files? Thanks, Siegfried (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar - incremental backup

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make incremental tar archives of a folder for an example. On the box I use is UNIX AIX installed. I tried some sample codes I found on several web pages but with no success. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please write some sample code to make incremental tar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funky_ass
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incremental backup

Hi All.. i am trying to write a script which will give the incremental tar backup of all files with latest timestam. i tried with find -mmin -2 but if it takes half on hour or something to creat the tar itself, then no meaning in using the above command. so please help me to find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Usha Shastri
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best unix incremental backup utility?

Hello everyone. Could you please advise of what would be the best Unix (Debian 4) program for regular (daily or weekly) incremental backups? I'm not sure whether the backups will be stored on a "backup" drive on the same system or on an external "backup" system, but we would like to have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nottrobin
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incremental backup

Hi, I would like to create a daily incremental backup of a directory with all of the files within and add a timestamp (year-month-day) to the tar.gz file. I have the following, but it doesn't backup the inside files of the directory. #!/bin/bash tar -czf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Incremental Backup

I have a folder /root/test in a centos 5.3 system. I want to take an incremental backup of the contents of the folder in the C:\Downloads folder of a windows system present in the same lan as the linux system. What are the ways of executing this plan? Kindly help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incremental and full backup.. please help me

Hi, i'm new here(and a newbie) and i need some help with a project. I need to write a script for an incremental backup (this must be executed every day at 24:00) and a full backup (executed once a month) for etc/var/home directories. Can someone please help me with this? And a small explanation of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bender-alex
9 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

incremental or full backup ???

Hi. Can someone tell me if the following script that i have made is a script for INCREMENTAL BACKUP or FULL BACKUP. My teacher told me that is doing an FULL BACKUP. • find /etc /var /home -newer /backups/.backup_reference > /backups/.files_to_archive • touch /backups/.backup_reference • tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bender-alex
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)