Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple AWK script problem.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple AWK script problem. Post 302343653 by ahmad.diab on Thursday 13th of August 2009 07:57:20 AM
Old 08-13-2009
Another easier way is to use the associative arrays:

Code:
code:-

awk '
{a[$1]+=$2 ; b[$1]++}
END {for (i in a) {print i,a[i]/b[i]}}
' input_file | sort -n +0

Best Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple shell script problem

hi all. i have a little problem. im basically reading input from the user from the keyboard into the variable "phonenumber". I want to do a little error check to check if the user doesnt enter anything in for the value phonenumber. i had this: read phonenumber if then ..... else ........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djt0506
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script problem

Hi everyone - I am sure this is a really simple problem but I'm a total noob at Linux scripting: I wanted to create a script that allows me to compare the current week number to the contents of a text file in my home directory: VAR1='date +%V' VAR2='cat /home/fred/file.txt' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FiniteRed
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub simple problem

Hi New to shell script and awk and need assistance on this problem. I need to use a variable to substitute a string in an external file and write the changed info to another file. At first I did not know if you could use a variable as the sub value but the following showed me that I can. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk problem

pcn linus> ntpq -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset disp ============================================================================== +smpnn01 ntpsrv1 2 u 829 1024 377 1.46 0.793 0.85 *smpnn02 ntpsrv1 2 u ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch12
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash script problem

#!/bin/bash cd /media/disk-2 Running ./run.sh it's not changing directory.Why? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk problem

Hello; I have the following log file: 10/11/11 10:42:02 LOCK Q Userid:284 Username=root UserPID:23158 Device:marlin batch 10/11/11 10:42:02 TableNr:226 TableName:iatkn RecId:116290398 Flags:X Q H 10/11/11 10:42:02 LOCK CONTENTION X 10/11/11 10:42:02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk problem II

Hello; Trying to figure out how to keep just the contents between the two search lines: awk '/regexp_1/ ,/regexp_2/' I do not want lines containing regexp_1 and regexp_2 in the output. Thank you for any ideas Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

another simple awk problem

Hello; I need to print two previous lines after searching for a reg exp: awk '/haywood/' should produce the following =================== p9J46THe020804 89922 Tue Oct 18 21:06 MAILER-DAEMON (host map: lookup (haywood.com): deferred) ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk sort problem

Hello folks I have the following output UNIX95=1 ps -ef -o pcpu,user,pid,args |more %CPU USER PID COMMAND 0.03 root 0 swapper 0.08 root 1 init 0.00 root 13 net_str_cached 0.00 root 12 usbhubd 0.00 root 11 escsid 0.00 root 10... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk search problem

Hello; we have : awk '/reg_exp/,0/ prints every line after the first occurrence of "reg_exp" But if I want to print rest of the lines AFTER the last occurrence of "reg_exp", how would I do it ?? Tried : awk ' ! (/reg_exp/,0)' But it errored... Thank you for any... (5 Replies)
5 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command allows and honors a non-integer number of seconds to sleep in any form acceptable by strtod(3). This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD