Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Programatically change which opens a file type Post 302343622 by davewg on Thursday 13th of August 2009 05:24:12 AM
Old 08-13-2009
Question Programatically change which opens a file type

Hi there,

If we have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files of a certain file extension, is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default?

Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All, but using a script.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Add IpAddress Through Programatically

Hi all, Can u give me some suggestions how to add Ip Address through Programmatically , Actually I done it in Windows But now I want same thing in Unix................................ Can Any body Help to me....... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ykmraju
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the contraints type of fields in database

how to disable the contraint type of a field (which is present in diffrent tables ) in database using a single unix script file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaksing
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selectionbox, script which opens more than one file at once?

hello everybody I´m very new at shell and programming :eek: and i have the following question/problem: I need a script for framemaker (based on shell) which opens a new document from a template (.fm). Then imports a .doc file and then save it as a .mif. Actually my script works with one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tio86
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Position to last line when vi opens a file.

Any Idea without entering any keystroke I can go to end of line in vi when I opening the file. When I am opening Vi I want to goto last line. when I give vi + filename it does not work. Any clue why it does not work. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekb
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sendmails works, but opens 43 file handles per email -> problem

I'm using Sendmail 8.13.8 on a CentOS 5.5 vServer (Virtuozzo). I'm using a loop in PHP to send a lot of HTML-mails via sendmail. Each mail is a mail with individual statistics for our users, so its not mass mailing, bcc is not an option. It all works fine, but when I take a closer look there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZX81
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can I change the partition type with fdisk without disrupting data?

Hello, I have been going through our environment and I see we have a few servers with LVM's setup and the file system type is still set to "83" within fdisk. If I change this to "8e", will it hurt the data or cause any loss? I need to know for sure before I make the change. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s ladd
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH Programatically

Hi Experts, Need some help. I am trying below code programatically to login to ssh ip from a csv file. the below code logging into all servers and executing some command line syntax. But what I need is for example if i have 5 IP's ,if first one connects successfully and executes the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onenessboy
3 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)