Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FNG Question: Test if remote server has booted Post 302343592 by dr.house on Thursday 13th of August 2009 03:34:12 AM
Old 08-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo
I know there is probably a more elegant way to do it, but whatever works ...
My way (not made explicit - sorry for that):

Code:
#! /bin/bash

function doTheRealWork
{
  # whatever ;-)
}

while [ true ]
do
  ping -c 1 $SERVER
  if [ $? -eq 0 ]
  then
    doTheRealWork
    exit 0
  else
    sleep 5 # wait
  fi
done

exit 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsh: test $? on remote system.

Hi, a little help. I need to test the return code of a list file command on a remote system (Unix) using the rsh command. More exactly, to test is a directory exists, I try the following command: rsh $remoteHost "ls -la " $DirRemote Now, if the $DirRemote is not correct and I test... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

execute a script on test server from dev server

I need to execute a script from dev server which is located on Test server.I can use ftp to connect to dev server and from there how can i execute a command on test server. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

4. Programming

SFTP from one remote server to another remote server from desktop

Hi, I have 1. lappy 2. server A 3. server B Now, what i need is to run a command from lappy that will sftp a file from server A to server B. Please guide me to achieve this. -akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test if Remote server is up and running before SFTP'ing files (in batch mode)

Hello, In our Data Warehouse environment, before our batch SFTP jobs kick off to pull the files from remote servers, I would like to setup a pre-sftp job that would test if all the remote servers from where the files are being pulled, are up and running. If any one of the remote serer is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dippu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo connect to a remote server and execute scripts in remote server

Hello Every one!! I am trying to write a shell script which will connect to a remote server and execute scripts which are at a certain path in the remote server. Before this I am using a sudo command to change the user. The place where I am stuck is, I am able to connect to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masubram
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to test if remote dir exist?

Hello, :) I'm trying to test if a remote directory exist per ssh, I have already made a ssh key and it works : #!/bin/bash HOST="10.10.1.22" FILE_PATH="/var/wwww/html" ssh -q $HOST ] && echo "Directory exists" || echo "Directory does not exist"; Output : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *command); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in command by calling /bin/sh -c command, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork(2) failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of command is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
If the _XOPEN_SOURCE feature test macro is defined (before including any header files), then the macros described in wait(2) (WEXITSTA- TUS(), etc.) are made available when including <stdlib.h>. As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptible, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while (something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with set-user-ID or set-group-ID privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) In versions of glibc before 2.1.3, the check for the availability of /bin/sh was not actually performed if command was NULL; instead it was always assumed to be available, and system() always returned 1 in this case. Since glibc 2.1.3, this check is performed because, even though POSIX.1-2001 requires a conforming implementation to provide a shell, that shell may not be available or executable if the calling program has previously called chroot(2) (which is not specified by POSIX.1-2001). It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve(2) call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2010-09-10 SYSTEM(3)